Who else finds unplugging and plugging headphones annoying?
Nov 24, 2004 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
I do. Sometimes I want to listen to rock so I have to power off my PPX3, plug in my Grado SR-225's, power it back on. Oh no, time to listen to some classical. Let's repeat the whole process and plug in the HD-600's. What's the solution?

Buy two amps.

normal_IMG_2693.JPG

normal_IMG_2695.JPG

normal_IMG_2694.JPG

Gotcha! Seriously though, I just had to take the pictures while I still had both. One is
going back to Singlepower.

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 14
Your SR-225 will sound fantastic with a Gilmore Lite. A lot cheaper than the Singlepower, can be left on indefinitely (solid state), small footprint. And no unplugging!

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 14
I have a solution to this problem. You make a hybrid Sennheiser/Grado phone. It has to be built so that the Grade headphone moves upward like a flap that hangs off your head while the Sennheiser is in place, and then the Sennheiser is mechanically retracted and the Grado is fitted into it's place.. this all happens while on your head.
Or maybe... you can keep the basic headphone stuff (outer mesh and earcups) but mechanically switch out the driver.
Yea. And so you basically push a button and the headphones TRANSFORM into new headphones... automatically.
580smile.gif
bleep
basshead.gif
oops

Nov 24, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Do you really have to power it down everytime you make a phone switch? Or are you just being overly cautious. Cause if you do that, don't you have to wait for the tubes to warm up a bit as well? I really don't think you have to power it down for quick phone switching. At least, I don't do that with the Stealth and various other tube amps I've had.

Nov 24, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 14
seems like overkill man.

Ever think about just paralelling a couple of phone jacks to the amp output ?

or using a splitter ? (plug in can set #2 then unplug set #1)

Or maybe even a 1-of-2 (or more) headphone output selector box ?

Or "all out" a one-of-five" headphone selector (what i use at home)

all would be a far cheaper and easier solution and with the savings thing how much music you could purchase
cool.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 14
There's no need to power down the PPX3, or any other current production Singlepower amplifier, to switch headphones. Switching headphones can be done at any time. So, enjoy the headphone-rolling.

orphsmile.gif
600smile.gif
280smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
lambda.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
seems like overkill man.

Ever think about just paralelling a couple of phone jacks to the amp output ?

or using a splitter ? (plug in can set #2 then unplug set #1)

Or maybe even a 1-of-2 (or more) headphone output selector box ?

Or "all out" a one-of-five" headphone selector (what i use at home)

all would be a far cheaper and easier solution and with the savings thing how much music you could purchase
cool.gif

Since the impedance difference is quite a lot between the SR255 and HD600, he definitely need a output selector switch.

-Ed

Nov 25, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 14
The point of the splitter or "y" adapter is to present a load to the amp at all times so you would not actually listen to two mismatched impedances but by plugging in the second can then unplugging the first you have a seemless transition without any real cost added

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back