Who Do You Think Tends to "Upgrade" Faster: Headphone or IEM Users?
Dec 12, 2005 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CookieFactory

Banned
In your experience (or your under your best impression), comparing those who predominantly uses either full-sized headphones or IEMs, which group tends to upgrade/side-grade faster and with more frequency?

For those of you who use both with more or less equal frequency, which type do you find yourself upgrading, or wanting to upgrade faster/more frequently?

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 13
Personally I have upgraded once with IEMs. Going from E2c to UM2. Only bought my Sennheiser PX 200s and stuck with those as my only headphones. The only reason why I haven't upgraded my headphone is because I usually do not use headphones at home. Usually on the go when listening to music.

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 13
I guess it depends. If you are already happy with the sound, chances are you'll not upgrade. For me I just upgraded my IEM from Shure E3c to E4c as I found that the bass is just not enough for the E3c. Very satisfied with it now and not planning to change for at least 1.5 years more.

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm not planning on upgrading IEM's any more.. that is until etymotic comes up with a new and better product compared to the er4
etysmile.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidboy84
Very satisfied with it now and not planning to change...

I don't think anyone really plans their upgrades.
icon10.gif
It just kinda happens. In my case I was going to buy the Etymotic ER 6i and ended up buying the Westone UM2s.
rolleyes.gif

I find it most difficult during the Holiday Season to not upgrade, for the prices are usually discounted. It's been three Decembers since I found Head-fi and I have bought something every December.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 13
Hmm, IEM's, since April it's been Koss Sparkplug>Shure E3>UM 2>ER6i or one every two months. Can't really count the Ety's as an upgrade though as I was curious and they happened to fall in my lap at a great price a few weeks ago.
Regular cans, HD 201, PX 100 & HD 25-1. Guess I'm an IEM guy four to three this year and it ain't over yet.

Dec 13, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Guess I'm an IEM guy four to three this year and it ain't over yet.

Me too. From EX71 > EX81(if considered as IEMs) > Shure E3c > Shure E4c

Compared to just Grado SR-80 > SR-325i (next year maybe)

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 13
shure e3 havent upgraded, dont plan on

sony mdr-v300-->hd555 in the post coming home (though v300 were great before hearing my shure last summer! (anyway ill probably use the v300 for winter (shure dont really kept ear warm and the 555 wont be the best for bus/train)

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't really know.

Started with stock iPod buds > Apple in-Ear > PX100 > ER-6i > ER-6i (again) > HD555 > ER-4P > HD650 (coming)

All in all, I think it's a draw.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, I think it is also due to how satisfy you are with your equipment. For me, I was not satisfied with Shure e4c, and then in less than 1 month upgraded to UM2, and in another 2 months upgraded to UE10 Pro. Then finally, it is the sound that I am looking for. The thing with IEM is that you had to pay a lot more to get the sound of a headphone.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
In your experience (or your under your best impression), comparing those who predominantly uses either full-sized headphones or IEMs, which group tends to upgrade/side-grade faster and with more frequency?

For those of you who use both with more or less equal frequency, which type do you find yourself upgrading, or wanting to upgrade faster/more frequently?

Whicher one is not as happy with. Against my KSC75, I really want a much more major jump than I've heard so far (SR60, SR80, K240S), not fatiguing, or just something completely different (the 'completely different' is why I'm leaning towards a few japanese cans).

With me E3c, my wallet's limitations are the only thing keeping me from splurging like mad on an upgrade (UM2 and E4 are both very tempting, but I can't afford even used pairs, ATM). I find myself wanting to use it a lot, but not enjoying it as much as I'd like. My KSC75 could definitely be better, but it's always enjoyable to listen to, so there's no real urge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back