Who Consideres there selves Audiophiles?
Jan 1, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #61 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: The only people I talk to amount my equipment is you guys. I hardly ever bring up the stuff I have to non head-fiers. They would think I'm out of my mind anyway. The one's that do know about it thought I was crazy years ago.

Ditto, but, I do have a friend I'm trying to pull to the dark side(this damn costly hobby that I love o so much), but, he thinks I'm weird for wanting to try to build a millet hybrid, and how much I'm going to drop on some Darth Beyres. My parents, at least they support this more than my computer hobby....

Jan 1, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #62 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto, but, I do have a friend I'm trying to pull to the dark side(this damn costly hobby that I love o so much), but, he thinks I'm weird for wanting to try to build a millet hybrid, and how much I'm going to drop on some Darth Beyres. My parents, at least they support this more than my computer hobby....

That's fine. Just make sure you include a warning manual with it. And I don't just mean the cost factor.

I've seen it before... someone turns their friend on to audiophile grade headphone equipment. The newly head-filed person goes out and buys a nice pair of headphones. Inexperienced, and apparently lacking in common sense, person goes home and rocks out to their new headphones at ridiculous volume levels. Two days later, person can't hear so well. Person tells friend about his new problem, friend tells him to go to an audiologist. Person goes to an audiologist to find out he permanently damaged one of the tiny bones in his ear, in turn causing him major frequency loss and tinnitus, and thus requiring a hearing aid.

Every potential audiophile should be given a warning manual, or at the very least a common sense supplement.

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #63 of 95
Not at all. I've gotten rid of the best headphones I've had and now just have my UM1s straight out of the iPod.

Don't miss em one bit, except for having a non-IEM headphone.

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #64 of 95
I've loved Music before I was even conceived. It's that important.
Yes you easily can get insnared. Listening more to equipment. For what might be a potential increase in performance. And use "favorite" tracks. To gage that performance. And forget about the soul mending importance of Music.
I've been on this Earth Fifty years. My Father and Grandfather both had the "Audio Infection". ( As my Grandmother called it).
High Fidelity (A High Level of Truth). The truth is it can be a VERY expensive TRAP.
Just remember: Music is not a tool, it's the reason.

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #65 of 95
Midfier.
cool.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #67 of 95
Yup,been one for over 30 years,my wallet hates me
tongue.gif

Always loved the equipment side,But in the end it always comes down to the enjoyment of listening to the music.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #68 of 95
I enjoy music and high-quality audio, but I don't go all out on equipment for my wallets sake.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #70 of 95
I don't but many of my friends consider me as one and refer to me as such.

Of course, anyone that hurries through 4 hrs of chores up in 2 hours (while warming the tubes up too mind you), and listening to the cans while drafting this here post..ahem, on NewYears day, well...

guilty
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #72 of 95
Quote:

Audiophile, from Latin audire "hear" and Greek philos "loving," is a person dedicated to achieving high fidelity in the recording and playback of music.

Yup.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #73 of 95
If you're on this site, looking for better headphones at any level, you are an audiophile by default and definition. If you weren't, stock ear buds would be good enough for you.

Maybe it's the word "audiophile" that puts people off? Maybe it isn't "manly" enough. Like they had to invent a new word for GI Joe (it's not a "doll", it's an "action figure"
rolleyes.gif
), maybe we need a new word for "audiophile".

Let's see. How 'bout...

Soundmaster Extreme

Power Listener

Sonic Inspector General

Music Dominator

SoundWave Overlord

confused.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #74 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're on this site, looking for better headphones at any level, you are an audiophile by default and definition. If you weren't, stock ear buds would be good enough for you.

Maybe it's the word "audiophile" that puts people off? Maybe it isn't "manly" enough. Like they had to invent a new word for GI Joe (it's not a "doll", it's an "action figure"
rolleyes.gif
), maybe we need a new word for "audiophile".

Let's see. How 'bout...

Soundmaster Extreme

Power Listener

Sonic Inspector General

Music Dominator

SoundWave Overlord

confused.gif

Those new names are great but most of them (#1,2,4 & 5) would apply equally well to those guys who drive around in their cars blasting that one note bass through the mega-watt subwoofer!!!

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #75 of 95
I am a gear hound, and enjoy playing with my toys more than I enjoy the obsessive pursuit of perfect sound. I actually describe myself as an audiophile to my less-engaged friends because it allows them to quickly relate my knowledge base to theirs (I get LOTS of questions about equipment and sound because everyone knows I am "that guy.").

My path to this headphone obsession began with home theater back when Jurassic Park, a Sony HiFi VHS player and Dolby ProLogic was state of the frigging art. I still enjoy the aural experience tremendously, but I don't put down dollars disproportionate to my disposable income on this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back