Who Cleans the Solder Flux off there PCB's when finished
Apr 19, 2004 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ppl

Building amps and assuring water resistance.
How manny of you Amp Builders and DIY types cleen off the conductive and crosive Flux off your DIY Amps and stuff after you finished.

Apr 19, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 30
always... a little time with IPA and an old toothbrush cleans it off nicely and it looks so much nicer after. Flux isn't the nicest stuff as well so I don't want to be touching it too much

g

Apr 19, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 30
No. I'm always in too much of a hurry to see if the thing actually works
biggrin.gif

/U.

Apr 19, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl
How manny of you Amp Builders and DIY types cleen off the conductive and crosive Flux off your DIY Amps and stuff after you finished.

I do. Just went shopping during lunch this noon and bought 2 bottles of special pcb cleaner and pure alcohol for contact cleaning.
Cannot tell if flux may affect the conductivity, but definitely makes the board look better.

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 30
Always, unless I'm using no-clean flux and I'm just doing something temporary that I'll be re-working or taking apart in a few days. Otherwise I always clean off the flux residue even if I'm using no-clean solder flux.

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 30
I always do (cables also). I can't stand anything sticky, especially flux. BTW if anyone can find some stuff called "Lift Off", it desolves flux even better than alcohol OR flux remover. Smells like lemons. Try to find it at auto parts stores or Target.

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 30
I always clean the flux off any amp, no matter what type or value. I usually get a kleenex with alcohol and dab the board a few times, i then brush it with two different metal bristled brushes (a real stiff one and a softer one) and it cleans everything perfect. I dont bother with cleaning the board with pcb cleaner or soaking it in alcohol b/c it takes too long.

-ivan c.

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 30
I use Tech Spray Flux solvent to clean my boards before inspecting the solder joints. Plus it has a nice aroma. Too bad the stuff is $18 a can.

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 30
Always. Not usually before I test the project the first time, but always before boxing it up.

If it doesn't work in the first test, cleaning the flux off is the first thing I try. If that helps, great, and if not, I was going to do it anyway.

Apr 20, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
What about cleaning flux off of wires and connectors when making your own interconnects?

-Ed

Clean'em. Leaving the residue on there will cause corrosion on the joints, and then the ju-ju goes bad and everything explodes and goes kaput.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back