Who can recabel a Westone UM3X?
Mar 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Schwibsi

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

first of all, let me thank Marcus from headfonics for pointing me to this forum here, a very nice guy, who's made a lot of effort to help a total stranger with nothing to gain. Thanks!

Regarding my problem.I have a Westone UM3X, with the cable broken very close to one of the IEMs.
I've talked to the very nice and helpful people of Unique Melody, who offered to do the recableing along with a reshell of the IEMS.
However, as they wouldn't accept neither a kidney nor half of my mint condition liver as payment, I will either have to wait for that to become an affordable option, try my hand at extortion after kidnapping my parents' cat, or.... find a cheaper solution for my problem.

I would love to have a cable on the IEMs that can take some punishment, ... not as in towing a car, but they should support my body weight, if I ever need to jump out of a helicopter and I have nothing else to hold on to.

Is there anyone out there, who can replace the cable or even convert the IEMs for a replaceable cable to be used?

I also have a set of Klipsch S4i, that the cat had a little fun with, so the cables between the remote and the IEMs are broken. Can something be done about those too, or has the cat signed his own death warrant already anyways?

Thanks a lot for your replies. I hope my request wasn't too boring to read through.

Regards,
Andi

P.S. I'm not an audio geek per se, but I have to say, I was very positively surprised at how friendly and helpful everyone in this community seems to be. There are a lot of other groups out there, who are a lot less friendly. :)

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I hope my request wasn't too boring to read through.

The contrary, it was most amusing! I'm stuck with images of shipwreck victims being hauled out of the ocean on IEM cables.

I believe that this thread may have all the information that you need. These particular IEMs are the 2nd I've seen modded in this way, a process which is surprisingly cheap. To be honest I can see this catching on pretty fast - as lets be honest - who doesn't want their favorite IEM modded with customizable cables!?

Shotgunshane and Spkrs01 are the first users that I know of who have had this done, and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 10
Hi,

How's the weather over there?
cheers mate for that excellent suggestion.
Brian seems to be exactly the guy you'd want to keep locked up in your basement... could come in handy. :wink:
(Please don't be scared, Brian, I will mail the IEMs to you and you don't have to bring them to my house personally, no worries here)

I've already emailed Brian, just waiting for him to wake up.

Let me just convey my thanks across the channel again.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Hi,
How's the weather over there?
cheers mate for that excellent suggestion.
Brian seems to be exactly the guy you'd want to keep locked up in your basement... could come in handy. :wink:
(Please don't be scared, Brian, I will mail the IEMs to you and you don't have to bring them to my house personally, no worries here)
I've already emailed Brian, just waiting for him to wake up.
Let me just convey my thanks across the channel again.

You're most welcome. I'm glad you're on it already and will be interested to hear how you're getting on.

And the weather's glorious here thanks, a rare thing indeed in the UK. It won't last of course... but that's cool. Brits would be lost if they didn't have the weather to moan about :wink: 

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 10
[OT on]
The weather's grand here aswell.
You wouldn't believe it, if I told you that some 10 years ago, I spent 2 months in Manchester with hardly any rain at all.
It even really felt like summer, which I definitely didn't expect leaving the continent.
[OT off]

I got a response from Brian already.
his prices really are very reasonable.
He warned me of the replaceable cable mod though, stating it is very risky and might total the IMEs....
This has given me quite a bit to think about. Here in Germany. getting UM3X will set you back more than € 300, which no matter, whether you convert it to pounds Sterling or Dollars, is a lot of money...
Hmmm.... what to do, what to do???

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm not sure what was going on in Manchester in those 2 months. Witchcraft, surely... :wink:

Yes, I'd heard that Brians prices were very reasonable. I hear your concerns, and would no doubt feel the same in your position! Still, I think my desire for better cables would overcome my fear of bricking the IEM. Easy for me to say though. I recommend PMing Shotgunshane and Spkrs01, particularly Spkrs01, as I believe it was W4s that he has modded (being even more expensive than the UM3X). It also means that your warranty (if you still have one) would be voided.

Again, it's easy for me to say, but in your shoes I'd do it.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 10
thanks for the suggestion TCD, I contacted Westone and they told me the same thing.
An excellent option for everyone, who is satisfied with the stock cable.

I went a different route though.

Brian of BTG-Audio modded my Westones to a replaceable cable mod and recabled my Klipsch headsets.
I haven't received them yet, but Brian told me already, they sound amazing.

Here are a few pictures.

http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=153020105

http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=153020106

http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=153013202

Let the record state that Brian did a damn fine job on the IEMs.
He's a very nice and patient guy with whom to work out the best options and which way to go was a true pleasure... and God knows I'm not an easy patient.

But please, look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

A very happy and satisfied customer. :)

Any questions? I'll be happy to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back