who can compare/contrast both Sony v6/7506 and DT770pro80?
Dec 15, 2007 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
i have a soft spot for my 7506, especially how crisp and deep they can go compared to my sen hd650. even grandma can hear the difference. also their portability factor and they sound good straight from my ipod. as someone often borrows my 7506 i was thinking of supplementing it with perhaps the dt770pro80.

i need closed cans, with tight deep bass as their sound signature. i'm not interested in spending thousands on ancillaries deepening non existent bass. gotta be reasonable straight from my ipod.

as i know exactly how the v6/7506 sound - warts and all, how does it compare/contrast to the dt770 especially bass depth and speed....from owners of both?

is the 32ohm version better for ipods?

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 10
I have both. DT770 sounds less unnatural than the 7506, but 7506 has much better isolation. I've tried using both with portables, and I prefer the 7506 because it attenuates background noise more and it doesn't draw as much attention. I can live with the tradeoff in sound quality with a portable. If you're only using the phones at home or in a quiet environment, DT770 is better definitely.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both. DT770 sounds less unnatural than the 7506, but 7506 has much better isolation. I've tried using both with portables, and I prefer the 7506 because it attenuates background noise more and it doesn't draw as much attention. I can live with the tradeoff in sound quality with a portable. If you're only using the phones at home or in a quiet environment, DT770 is better definitely.

hey thanks for pointing out the isolation issue as its important to me. for some reason i thought that the DT770 was one of the best isolating phones available.

in your experience, is the bass response similar with the two cans?

cheers

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither isolate as well as an hd280, and I found their isolation quite similar. headphonereviews.com has the dt-770 at 17 dB of isolation, and the v6 at 10 dB.

I had the hd280 for a while too and prefer both the 7506 and DT770 in every possible way. I hated its looks, sound, comfort, size, and cable. Even if it might have isolated better, I would never use it.

I haven't done any measurements on any of my phones, but in my experience while taking long car and bus trips on highways, I could definitely hear the 7506 more clearly than the DT770. I had to turn up the volume for the DT770 more to compensate for background noise than I did for the 7506. 7506 is my choice for noisy portable environments. I only wish Sony would refine the sound quality a bit while keeping the same form factor.

Dec 24, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 10
compared 7506 and dt770 pro (both new, maybe burn in may alter results) at guitar center in their room with amp and cd player and also plugged the headphones into my ipod. first, i tested with ipod. the 7506 is definitely easier to drive. my ipod had no trouble driving it; it sounded good. the dt770 pro required about 25% higher volume to drive. the 7506 is brighter, the mids and highs were more prominent than the dt770 pro. i like the 7506 on my ipod. using the amp they provided, i listened to their cds and discovered that the dt770 pro sounded better on the amp than the 7506. the bass on the dt770 pro is tighter; it feels like i have a subwoofer on my ears. the 7506 has good bass but it is not as tight. the soundstage on the dt770 pro is better as well. if you have an amp, get the dt770 pro. but otherwise, the 7506 would be the choice. odd thing is that the dt770 pro sort of lacks a little bit in the mids, but i think a bit of eq boosting should work. the 7506 though, is flat all through the spectrum, except for a little boost in the highs. i find the 7506 more comfortable because they are soft. but if one were to have headphones on for many hours, the dt770 pro would be more comfortable. they have less clamp and there is more for the ears. those dt770 pro pads are not as soft as they look, although they still feel good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back