Who can build me an amp?
Nov 21, 2005 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Michael G.

100+ Head-Fier
I am interested in trying out the "SRRP" headphone amplifier, as shown on Pete Millett's DIY Audio pages. The parts list and schematic are downloadable from his website. This project might be a little too advanced for my skill level. Thanks for any advice.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 5
I believe you'd have more luck (if you haven't already scored a builder
biggrin.gif
) in the DIY section.

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Paying someone to build this is, at least, semi-commercial which means you should send a note to Pete. I am sure he won't care, but the terms on the schematic say to contact him for commercial use (so that he can wish you luck).

Also, you realize that this is likely to run you a couple thousand dollars? Just the output transformers are going to run $200 plus shipping from the UK. I would guess another $600 to $800 in parts (including an enclosure) + the cost to build it. I'd buy a used Cary 300sei with the money if you aren't going to build it yourself.

Nov 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Paying someone to build this is, at least, semi-commercial which means you should send a note to Pete. I am sure he won't care, but the terms on the schematic say to contact him for commercial use (so that he can wish you luck).

Also, you realize that this is likely to run you a couple thousand dollars? Just the output transformers are going to run $200 plus shipping from the UK. I would guess another $600 to $800 in parts (including an enclosure) + the cost to build it. I'd buy a used Cary 300sei with the money if you aren't going to build it yourself.

I've already talked to Pete about this. No problem with hiring someone else to do the work. However, as you say the cost is starting to sound prohibitive. One Headfi'er told me that buying the "best parts" for this design cost him $1500. Paying someone else for the labor involved would surely bring the final cost to around $2000. The Cary 300sei rarely sells for less than $2500 used, according to my searches... Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back