Who are/were the Greatest Rhythm Guitar Players of all time: George Harrison, ....?
May 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

IMO they are not clearly the best rhythm guitar players of all times, sorry...not even considering what they did in the bands, or the legacy for the humanity they have left behind...

I think the rhythm guitar category is by far the most difficult to nail down, since, not to take anything away from the importance of rhythm guitar, it's possibly the least flashy part of a band. (cowbell and tamborine, excluded) When's the last time you heard someone take center stage and break into a rousing rhythm guitar solo? With rhythm guitarists, their skill often lies in what and when they don't play than what and when they do. Let's face it, the best technical guitar player in any band, usually plays lead. Eric Clapton is a fantastic rhythm guitar player, when he plays rhythm .... but people never think of him as a rhythm guitarist. So ya, there's a zillion competent guitarists in the world who can strum chords and provide great "rhythm" licks, but to identify which one is the best "rhythm guitarist" in the world as opposed to simply "best guitarist", without considering their synergy with the rest of the band as the rhythm guitarist along with the quality and importance of the music they helped create, is impossible, IMO.

Who would be your choice?

May 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the rhythm guitar category is by far the most difficult to nail down, since, not to take anything away from the importance of rhythm guitar, it's possibly the least flashy part of a band. (cowbell and tamborine, excluded) When's the last time you heard someone take center stage and break into a rousing rhythm guitar solo? With rhythm guitarists, their skill often lies in what and when they don't play than what and when they do. Let's face it, the best technical guitar player in any band, usually plays lead. Eric Clapton is a fantastic rhythm guitar player, when he plays rhythm .... but people never think of him as a rhythm guitarist. So ya, there's a zillion competent guitarists in the world who can strum chords and provide great "rhythm" licks, but to identify which one is the best "rhythm guitarist" in the world as opposed to simply "best guitarist", without considering their synergy with the rest of the band as the rhythm guitarist along with the quality and importance of the music they helped create, is impossible, IMO.

Who would be your choice?

Is really hard to say, mainly the bands that are my favorites, have only one guitarrist, Floyd, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, the Who, Hendrix, Sabbath, Yes, etc...some others not even a guitarrist, ELP for example...

Well among the ones that IMO do a decent job, the guy from Metallica, James, do a decent job, but he also do solos and stuff, so the place is somewhat crossed, from the old ones, if you look to Yardbirds pick any (are those really rhythm guitar players???) In one of the last tours of Steve Vai, McAlpine played rhythm guitar and keyboards, excellent guitar IMO. The guys from Allman Bros and Lynyrd Skynyrd are incredible in the souther style as well. The guys from Scorpions and AC/DC do fantastic riffs in a more rhythmic style....I don't know there are too many bands that I like, and honestly I do not have a clear favorite, all depends on the mood, song, and era...

May 17, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #18 of 30
I think a very strong "Special Mention" should go to Paul Yandell; the back-up and rhythm man for Chet Atkins. He may not have been up on stage like a lot of these flashy other guys; but he went a long way in helping create the music that helped influence a lot of the other "Guitar Greats" out there to follow.

And; Paul is a great guitarist and personality in his own right.

May 17, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the thread asked about the best rhythm guitar players of all times, that is very big name to just let Harrison, or Wood to take it, just based in ancient history, IMO they are not clearly the best rhythm guitar players of all times, sorry...

All we can do is banter around the names of guitarists we admire. There is no winning a debate here or asserting some absolute truth. Not until someone unambiguously defines and we get general agreement on the criteria for "best."

May 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 30
Impossible question. Joe Strummer? Nile Rodgers? Who played rhythm guitar for James Brown circa "Sex Machine"? How about one of those Muscle Shoals cats? There's no denying that the whole game changed, on every level, once guitarists grasped what was happening beneath James on "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag."

May 19, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andy Summers

Well, I think that he'll be difficult to beat.

If you want to factor in c.v. as an indication of the respect with which he is viewed in the industry, however, I'd mention Andy Fairweather Low.

May 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 30
James Hetfield and Andy Summers are great mentions.

Back in Metallica's heyday (before that dissappointingly mainstream "Black album") I used to think Hetfield had a bionic wrist - fast and with precision!

I would also put Steve Howe up there - who is an ALL AROUND excellent guitarist, equally amazing whether playing rythm or soloing, acoustic or electric.

May 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 30
Ranking players across genres is always difficult, especially since playing guitar isn't a competitive sport, but no list of rhythm guitar greats is complete with mention of Freddie Green. Jim Hall could play behind anyone and still weave his magic.

Johnny Marr is another unique rhythm player. Andy Summers is also very creative.

But for his sheer longevity, my vote would go to Keith Richards, Mr. ""Five strings, three chords, two fingers, one assh*le".

May 21, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #25 of 30
Ian Scott? I didn't even know who he was til I wiki'ed.

Chuck Schuldiner!
wink.gif
nah jk

What about someone like Django Reinhardt? I guess he's not so much a 'rhythm' guitarist in the sense you're thinking. But whenever I think of the best rhythm guitarists, they tend to venture naturally into the upper registers, eg Hendrix. When I think of a great rhythm guitarist, I nearly instantly think jazz, because in jazz it's a fine art to 'comp' around the other musicians while someone takes the lead. There's too many directions to take this
smily_headphones1.gif
eg most memorable riffs or world-changing styles, or or or...

Another brain-breaking topic by AC
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #28 of 30
Isn't Lindsey Buckingham actually the lead and only guitarist for Fleetwood Mac?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Threshold77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lindsey Buckingham.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #29 of 30
sorry for the very late reply, I just have to correct these statements when I come across them.  Lennon Lennon, say no more, but not much of a guitar player.  There are only a few of great rock and roll rythym guitar players.  Two of 'em in the same band.  Keith and Ronnie with the ancient art of weaving the rythym and lead parts together. Since you are obviously a die hard Beatles fan you may not know what Band they are in.  Stones, man.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back