Who are the Greatest Bass Guitarists of All Time? John Entwistle, Geezer Butler, ...?
Jun 13, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flea, he might not be the best bass player of all time but he is by far the coolest.

Flea has nothing on Les Claypool
icon10.gif

Doesn't get much cooler.

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #47 of 68
My personal favorite bassist is Flea, but I will not even pretend to think he has more talent than claypool.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #50 of 68
All of the above and Micheal Manring, Stuart Hamm, Trey Gunn and Sid Vicious(just kidding).

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PHIL LESH - GRATEFUL DEAD
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

JD
wink.gif

IMHO, Lesh is the best bassist ever of ANY genre - jazz, rock, or blues. Perhaps some do not consider the Grateful Dead a "rock" band, but Lesh is in a class all by himself, IMO. He's capable both of incredible technical skill and dexterity, but in addition to that, did incredibly innovative things in bass playing.

I am also a big Chris Squire and Tony Levin and John Paul Jones fan. But Lesh stands above these, and all the others, IMO.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #54 of 68
Geezer Butler is an awesome bassist, just listen to songs like The Sign of the Southern Cross, or N.I.B., he is probably my favourite one, on par with Geddy Lee of Rush and Chris Squire of Yes...the latter being probably the best technically...

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #55 of 68
Another couple of names i would like to throw into the mix here, great bass guitarists in their own rights- John McVie and James Alexander.
McVie along with Mick Fleetwood have churned out classic tight rhythms from blues in the early Fleetwood Mac days to some of the mega pop/rock of the mid 70's.
Jame Alexander is just outstanding on Isaac Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul album, and consistently impressive on many other Bar-Kay jams.

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #56 of 68
In rock my favorite bassists are......

John Paul Jones and Paul McCartney

In Jazz my favorite bassists are......

Jaco Pastorius, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, Stanley Clarke, Charles Mingus and Richard Davis

Composer Edgar Meyer is probably the most virtuosic upright bassist alive today.

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #58 of 68
Les Claypool
Lemmy (Yeah, he might not be amazing, but he plays the bass guitar like no other)
Robertino Pagliari (Ohm)
Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Pepper Keenan (Corrosion of Conformity)
Blacky (ex-Voivod)
Kim Scott (The Mark of Cain)

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #59 of 68
James Jamerson

Larry Graham

Jack Bruce

Mike Watt

Robbie Shakespeare

Aston "Family Man" Barrett

Bootsy Collins

Peter Hook

Darryl Jones

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #60 of 68
Being a bass player, I should be into technical bassists, but I don't lean toward what most consider virtuosos. That wanking just bores me. I have a few favorites, and now that I see them here in black and white, they appear to be more the originators and innovators in their genre.

Blacky (Voivod)
Dee Dee Ramone
Geezer Butler
Larry Graham
John Entwhistle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back