WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING PEOPLE ON EARTH?
Sep 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,006 of 3,613
Are you a historian by profession or just for fun :)

The goths ruling Africa? Never read anything about vikings from Gotland a small tiny island ruling africa though I guess it´s Gotland and the southern part of Sweden if wiki is right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,008 of 3,613

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you a historian by profession or just for fun :)

I'm in the social sciences but I take a lot from History. Like in one penalty course I had to take becasue of an overdue thesis, which was under the Asian Studies Dept that claimed "we must take Culture in account all the time even in International Relations" (as opposed to the very positivist if not quantitative take by the Political Science Dept), they had to tell me to "tone it down" because I did a presentation on China's foreign policy but I started with the Yellow Emperor. Did the same thing to an IR class under the PolSc department recently when I took over one class, and the observing prof loved it. Strange.

Half the time if I'm early for class (whether I'm doing the lecture or not) as long as the room has a projector or it's been brought in by request, people are likely to catch me watching Total War replays from my laptop. Not to brag but I actually managed to impress a girl by showing her "my" bad-assed armor complete with one of the most conspicuous pieces of useless things that scream "shoot me!" - a kabuto with a 2ft-wide crescent moon ornament.

In any case my previous post got deleted because what I treat as "mythology" is still treated as taboo, so I guess if I took that in the opposite direction I could request that any explanation as to why Sennheiser used the name Orpheus be deleted because...err, better not mention his name since it can incite furious debates (which the Greeks tend to speak in whispers also out of fear), but he was in Disney's Hercules. The bad guy. Now that I think about it I probably should never mention the brand of my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The goths ruling Africa? Never read anything about vikings from Gotland a small tiny island ruling africa though I guess it´s Gotland and the southern part of Sweden if wiki is right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

The Romans from Republican times until the end of the Western Empire was marked with Barbarian invasions, but another way to put it is "migration by conquest." These were not for example an official act by a ruling monarch in whatever place they came from and then annex whatever they conquer to the homeland, but they create a separate kingdom. North Africa was at one point a Gothic Kingdom (that fell during Justinian's short-lived Reconquest).  Think of it in the same way that Asia Minor, Syria (plus Mesopotamia), and Egypt were Hellenic Diadochi Kingdoms, and none of them really recognized the authority of the regent of Macedon, Antipater, nor his son who was later crowned King, Cassander (that would be Jonathan Rhys-Myers in the movie). 

----------------

In any case, familiarity with history has a lot of uses in this thread about beauty, which is a relative and just as important, historical concept. Look at how invasions by the Aryans, the Perisans, and then the Greeks set the stage for who would reign in Bollywood and how different they look from the average person on the street. I mean, even without all the other features, complexion became such a thing that you can take this joke from Family Guy and relabel that swatch with...err...something that rhymes with "paste" can't say it since it happens to be a class system that is also a concept related to something that will incite furious debate on Head-Fi.

Similarly this is what Filipino movies used to look like. Looking like a mix of Spanish and it's the same name used by the winged aliens in DAIMOS, who happen to use symbols of...argghhh crap it all goes back to unspeakable things that will incite furious debate on Head-Fi or West Asia was a thing that not even Japanese Greater East Asia propaganda couldn't fix until much, much later, and even then, it needed a little push from people like Zhao Wei and Maggie Cheung becoming famous.  

From personal experience I'm going to guess that it's because our normal noses suck at holding up eye glasses. Plus many of us, myself included, at some point get hit with things like "oh I thought you were asleep" thanks to how our eyes look like slits to other people (like Caucasian and African pries...errr...professors in my Cath....errr...damnit... Spanish grammar school. Hence looking like your father is freaking Emperor Cyrus became a strategy for improving the gene pool, much to my father's frustration (he's actually frustrated about all his efforts only to have me look like him instead of my mother, who looks like pic 2 with pic 3's nose and eyebrows).

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,009 of 3,613
Candice Swanepoel  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back