Who are the best Duelling Guitarists? What bands feature them? Priest, Iron Maiden..
Oct 6, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why stick to rock or Heavy Metal?

The greatest dueling guitarists of all-time:

Friday Night in San Francisco, "Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia"

The there's "Dueling Banjos" from "Deliverance"
evil_smiley.gif
That's some arse kickin' riffin'
biggrin.gif

the guitar trio gets boring after about 10 minutes imo. they'd be better live i imagine.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #17 of 38
i wouldn't call most of the guys on the op's list "duelling" guitarists, unless i'm misinterpreting the term.

guys like richards and woods complement each other really well, but richards carves chunks with his guitar, while woods breaks shards.
they feed off each other.

for truly duelling guitars, i'd have to say clapton and allman while with derek & the dominos. they really do go back and forth, each taking turns at front, clapton's 'slow hand' and duane's wailing slide.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldn't call most of the guys on the op's list "duelling" guitarists, unless i'm misinterpreting the term.

guys like richards and woods complement each other really well, but richards carves chunks with his guitar, while woods breaks shards.
they feed off each other.

for truly duelling guitars, i'd have to say clapton and allman while with derek & the dominos. they really do go back and forth, each taking turns at front, clapton's 'slow hand' and duane's wailing slide.

Yes, I agree. That's why I mentioned the AC/DC and then asked the question:
How about Metallica and other bands?

I guess that the only bands that feature duelling guitarists on the list
in my original post are:
Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

However a few more were already suggested in some posts above.

blink.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikael Åkerfeldt and Peter Lindgren from Opeth. They will not win any shredding or virtuosity contests, but to me, they are the best.

I guess you must mean they *where* the best. Unfortunatelly no more :|

Vote for them and Murray & Smith.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 38
There is no doubt in my mind:
Larry Barragan & Andre Corbin from Helstar's album Nosferatu. Easily some of the best guitarwork I've ever heard, so it vexes me that this band is so obscure.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 38
It's not dueling, but a great "dual" solo is found in Sound the Surrender by Darkest Hour. Both guitarists do a really good job and pull off a great harmonic solo together.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G3 2003. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen.

I saw G3 in the late 90's and it was Vai, Satriani, and Eric Johnson.
They each played sets with their own bands, and then did a set together at the end. It was one that stays etched upon your mind forever.
I have the CD from that very concert at the Beacon in NYC.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #27 of 38
Has anyone seen the set from Vai on Eric Clapton's "Crossroads Guitar Festival"? At one point Vai, his rhythym guitarist (who is a master in his own right) and his bass player all start dueling...however they are standing next to each other, reaching over, playing each other's instruments.

It is quite a thrill!
cool.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #30 of 38
Why duel others when you can duel - YOURSELF.

Move over Nigel Tufnel! Does this count as masturbation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back