Who are dissapointed with their Grados?
Mar 2, 2003 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
With the recent high amount topics about people not liking their Sennheisers.

Im wondering, are there any people out there that dislikes their Grados? because i dont see similar topics. (or maybe all users are satisfied with their G-purchase)

OR maybe people are not buying Grados due to the fact that for almost every newbie, they are getting a pair of Senn. I also believe people are getting it because of the rave reviews here in this forum, which I sometimes i think are just hype.

Yeah, i love my Grados.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 29
No problems with my SR-125's, once I replaced the bowl pads with the Senn HD-414's. I forget that they're there. And enough punch for a couple Senns.

Mar 2, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 29
Well, bangraman is a former Grado-headphone owner who has consistently called those 'phones Gratos
evil_smiley.gif
. That's right - he found them (SR-60, SR-80 and SR-325, those he had owned) grating and uncomfortable to his ears
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 29
I love my SR-80s. I did the sock mod to the pads to make extended listening more comfortable and streached the headband to releive pressure.

They're my phones of choice for all my home listening -- at my PC, with my receiver, with my PCDP, with my MD portables. Using an amp really makes them rock. Very open sound. I like.

Price vs. quality, I don't think any thing else I've tried can compete.

A lot of people knock the comfort and looks. I like the retro look fro home use and with the above mentioned tweaking, they are very comfortable and feel light.

Mar 2, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 29
Best rock can I got. Grado SR325

Mar 2, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 29
Lots of people don't like Grados. Many find they can't enjoy them simply because they find them too uncomfortable, and others because they can't appreciate the piercing highs they are capable of producing.

Grados with bowl pads are not comfortable. On my head they're not really uncomfortable, but they are definitely less comfortable than the high-end Sennheisers, Sonys, and Audio-Technicas. Depending on the size of your head, the pads will exert different amounts of pressure on your ears, affecting your comfort level. Keep in mind, though, that the 'comfy' pads and the old flat pads are both more comfortable than the bowl pads, and the two types of Sennheiser replacement pads that fit Grados are supposedly the most comfortable.

Sonically I think most Grados are more accurate than HD600s and most of the other headphones that Head-Fiers consider at that level. The HD600 hasvery noticable irregularities in its frequency response, especially in the treble. HD600s have very good bass, but the treble just sounds wrong -- you can call it 'distant' if you'd like, but it's wrong: HD600s are incapable of producing trebles notes with the intesity that the instruments in a recording may have. Conversely, Grados can and do produce high-energy treble, which admittedly is sometimes exaggerated. Nota bene: Grados are not bright, but piercing notes sound piercing. Anyone who listens to live music of any sort knows that some high notes, especially those off brass instruments, vocals, and electric guitars, as well as the sheen on cymbals, can sound unpleasant (in the conventional sense), and that's what Grados give you. There is a peakiness to the treble of Prestige Series Grados that doesn't exist in the Reference Series, but I feel that all of the new Grados exhibit a slightly exaggerated treble in some areas. Overall I think it's much more accurate than the treble of the HD600s, though. (The HP-1000s and other Joseph Grado Signature Series headphones have more accurate treble than either the new Grados or the HD600s, but it is much closer to the Grados than the Sennheisers.)

I strongly believe that a headphone, if it's good, is good for all music -- but there is some validity to people's claims that Grados are good for rock and Sennheisers for classical. Rock music does not contain much low-bass content, (bass guitar notes reach down only to about 41Hz, and though kick drums can produce lower frequencies, they are coincidental with higher bass frequencies, which the ear hears better) and consequently some of the greatness of the HD600's bass is unutilized when listening to rock music. Similarly, though classical music contains plenty of treble content, it is usually played in a way that the HD600's dips in frequency response make it euphonic -- a lot of the treble in rock music, on the other hand, is sharp and purposefully biting. Further, a lot of people concentrate on the midrange and bass more than the treble anyway, so the HD600's deficiencies aren't significant.

So it's understandable that a lot of people don't like Grados -- or like Sennheisers more -- despite the fact that I believe they're sonically more accurate than Sennheisers. I've only heard one pair of Audio-Technicas, the ATH-A9X, and though I didn't find them very impressive, they are something of a middle ground between Grados and Sennheisers. The best bet that I've found, however, is the old Grado line -- disregarding comfort, I really don't think anyone, whether Grado or Sennheiser afficionado, would dislike the sound they produce.

kerely

Mar 2, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 29
Since this topic is asking for negative opinions, I assume I won't get flamed.
confused.gif
Not a Grado fan, either. I've posted plenty about my dislike for them. Unlike kerelybonto, to me the Grados are far from the most "accurate" can I've heard, but the most colored and therefore "least accurate". To me, they have a peculiar "house sound" fairly consistent across the models I've heard (60s, 80s, 125s, RS1). I've had the chance to hear virtually all the great headphones on very good systems and none of them sound at all like the newer Grados. Grados really stick out with their anomolous sound. I think some people will naturally love them and some people will hate them, with little in between.

Mark

Mar 2, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 29
I agree with Mark that they do have a "house sound"...but it's a house sound that I like!! The 225 is the kick-ass-ing-est (is this a word?) headphone for rock music that I've found. I'm of the opinion that they are very fussy about the amp (impedence missmatch is a risk!!), but they are a nice fit in my work rig with a Total Airhead.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 29
I just sold my Grado SR-60s, which I had owned for several years, I liked them that much. They were well broken-in and I had tried just about every pad mod, finally settling on the yellow Senn pads. I guess one day I figured, if the Senn pads improve the sound, wonder how good Senn cans would be... my Grados always seemed too forward, too energetic in the trebles, even with the pad mod. Though I am not hard on equipment, I never felt my Grados were all that well-built, either, and had my doubts as to whether they could really last. I didn't like always feeling like I had to baby them. So there are reasons beyond sound why I don't care for them.

I definitely see how the Grado sound can be appealing, especially if you have a preference for rock (I don't) or you have hearing damage (I don't). They seemed impressively detailed when I first got them, but the novelty wore off after a while. I wanted something in between my AKG phones and the Grados along the dark-to-bright axis, and my 497s fill the bill nicely.

Grado makes some great transducers, I just don't care that much for most of the resulting headphones. Hearing the RS-1 out of the RA-1 was a transcendent experience, but I can't conceive of spending that kind of money on gear. Between the SR-60 and the RS-1, there's nothing I could consider using, even forgetting about cost.

Looking at specs and frequency response graphs, it does not seem quite right to say that either Senns or Grados are necessarily more accurate... it is ultimately a matter of personal preference. Though there is always room for improvement, I am overall happier with the sound and ergonomics of my Senns.

Mar 3, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 29
I really like my Grados and how they sound. I only wish it wasn't made to look and feel like cheap $10 headphones from the 80's. Retro/intended style or not, its no excuse for such cheesy quality.

Mar 3, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
, (bass guitar notes reach down only to about 41Hz, and though kick drums can produce lower frequencies, they are coincidental with higher bass frequencies,

actually, the fundemental mode (note) of a b string is about 31 Hz.

Mar 3, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 29
why didn't you just make it a poll?

i don't like grados. but i won't stop you from buying, either. i just think that they're a better bargain when bought used.

Mar 3, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
why didn't you just make it a poll?

i don't like grados. but i won't stop you from buying, either. i just think that they're a better bargain when bought used.

I forgot about the poll option.

ewww (your ava).

Mar 3, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
ewww (your ava). (referring to wallijonn's avatar)

I take it that you're no big fan of Harry Potter, kenchi1983?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back