White or Sky Blue Budget IEM for around $30 or under?
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

1rkrage

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I've looked at most of the budget suggestions like MeElectronics M6 or M9, as well as the Soundmagic E30s. My problem is that they are all black. My sister hinted at needing new earphones, and I would like to buy some inexpensive, but great sounding ones for her birthday in a couple of weeks. She will likely use this with her ipod touch which is white, and has a sky blue protective cover. I think black IEMs would be tacky in this regard.

So far I've looked at the following:

1. SX-31 white. (I have 2 of the black ones, and I think they sound ok once burned in. I didn't like the excessive bass at first, but they're alright now. My sister listens to Kpop, and from what I know, she doesn't play around with equalizers so excessive bass might be not for her) 
  2. Air Cushion White or blue  
  3. MeElectronics M6 Clear

P.S. she doesn't like the white earphones that came with the IPod. can't remember exactly why

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 8
lol this is the first time I've seen color as a requirement... the stock earbuds suck.. that's why she doesn't like them. $10 huh... can't do much with that... the best one I can think of (if she doesn't mind mic) is the Thermaltake Isurus... white, black, or red. great value. said to use the same driver as ATH CKM99 but less tuned.

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 8
check this: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579727/mysterious-focalprice-iems-amazing-impressions-and-comparisons-inside

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
lol this is the first time I've seen color as a requirement... the stock earbuds suck.. that's why she doesn't like them. $10 huh... can't do much with that... the best one I can think of (if she doesn't mind mic) is the Thermaltake Isurus... white, black, or red. great value. said to use the same driver as ATH CKM99 but less tuned.

well she's a girl girl so these things matter :p

I'll look at those too

May 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 8
The JVC Riptidz comes in white. So does the Panasonic RP-HJE140. These sound quite good for IEMs under $10. If you are willing to spend around $25, the Panasonic RP-HJE450 comes in white. The HJE450 has better bass, and better detail than the Riptidz and HJE140. The HJE450 is also the most ergonomically shaped of these(it even has oval nozzles) and fits me best of these. The HJE450 doesn't isolate so well though as it is ported. While the HJE140 and Riptidz are good values for the price, imo it is worth stepping up for the HJE450 if you can.

May 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The JVC Riptidz comes in white. So does the Panasonic RP-HJE140. These sound quite good for IEMs under $10. If you are willing to spend around $25, the Panasonic RP-HJE450 comes in white. The HJE450 has better bass, and better detail than the Riptidz and HJE140. The HJE450 is also the most ergonomically shaped of these(it even has oval nozzles) and fits me best of these. The HJE450 doesn't isolate so well though as it is ported. While the HJE140 and Riptidz are good values for the price, imo it is worth stepping up for the HJE450 if you can.

ah yeah the HJE 450  should fit the budget very well. I looked into the HJE140 as well and those have fantastic color scheme for her, but figured maybe I could spend a little more. How does the HJE450 compare to the M21, especially for KPop (~Electronic Pop)?

The isolation could be a problem, although I don't see it as being the end all be all of the decision i'd make. She kinda hinted at wanting isolation as well, but I think I don't have much choices for budget IEMs; so would be just gravy if it isolates well.  

I read the reviews for the 450 and they were saying it's thin, what does that mean? 

May 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 8
I don't have the M21.I am considering buying the  CW31, and/or CX21 at some point. I was also looking at the M21, but based on the reviews even though it has more bass than the other two, it seems to have lower overall sound quality and less detail.  I guess the main criticism of the Meelectronics earphones is build quality. They are said to sound very good. It seems like the Meelectronics earphones over $25 seem to have much fewer complaints about breakage than the cheaper ones. Just based on the reviews(I haven't heard them) the HJE450 probably sounds most like the CW31. It seems like the M21 probably has less detail and lower overall sound quality than the HJE450 and CW31. A match between the CW31 and HJE450 might be interesting though.

Thin? Who said that? Do they mean lacking in bass? I think it has very strong bass, however the bass sounds natural and not overexaggerated like on the JVC HA-FX1X(and probably the M31 and M21).

When I say the HJE450 doesn't isolate so well, I am saying that based on my tests of wearing it with the music turned off and being able to hear ambient noise. When music is playing though, even softly, I typically can't hear ambient noise. I guess the mediocre isolation is really a factor if you want to listen to very quiet music while in a very noisy place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back