White or Pink Noise
Jan 29, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 13
marchand electronics I think.If not check the links section in the DIY forum.I KNOW there is a link there because i put it there
cool.gif

a good substitute is the interstation noise from an FM radio.Just tune between stations and rock on

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 13
Go to trueaudio.com and download the FREE version of trueRTA. It has WN, PN, and sine wave generators. You can even try out the RTA, but only in coarse resolution.

edit: oops, no WN in the free version, just pink and sine waves from 5hz to 48 Khz.

gerG

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 13
NCH Tone Genrator
It will cease to work after a while though, but until then you can use all of it's features.

- snip -
# Sine wave, square wave, triangular waveform, saw tooth waveform, impulse, white noise and pink noise.
# Supports frequencies from 1Hz to 22kHz bandwidth (subject to sound card).
# Multiple simultaneous tones (1 to 16 tones can be created at the same time) (useful to create harmonics).
# Mono or separate stereo operation (ideal to create dual tones or 'beats').
# Tone Sweeps (Log or Linear).
# Plays tone or saves as wav file.
- snip -

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

Jan 31, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 13
I found exactly what you're looking for.
And you know what : it is free and Open Source !
Under GNU licence, there is Audiere.
I just tried it, it is very easy ! The sof is in the bin directory.
You launch it, you go in Device, ask him to create a Tone, and here we go !
rs1smile.gif

I forgot to say : he can generate white and pink noise of course !

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
possible to use frequency testing cd to burn in headphone by repeating the whole cd? or is white noise a better solution?

I did mine with a 30hz tone for a few hours

at least with "larger" speakers, the point of the break-in is to loosen up the driver's suspension, and the best way to do that is a low frequency test tone on repeat. I break my subs in on 10hz freeair

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Pink noise is equal energy per decade, which works out to be equal energy per octave. It will sound more uniform to the human ear, and will look linear on a RTA (real time analyzer). iirc white noise is equal energy per constant interval, and it looks flat to fft analysis. Both are random in nature, with no constant tones.

Or something like that.

gerG

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Pink noise is equal energy per decade, which works out to be equal energy per octave. It will sound more uniform to the human ear, and will look linear on a RTA (real time analyzer). iirc white noise is equal energy per constant interval, and it looks flat to fft analysis. Both are random in nature, with no constant tones.

Or something like that.

gerG

yep

and I belive if you put white noise through a lowpass filter you get pink noise...but I'm not sure of the slope that's required, probably 1st order, but it's been too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back