White noise with M-stage USB DAC and Youtube videos!
Feb 2, 2012 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Derrik86

New Head-Fier

Hi,

I received my M-STAGE USB DAC yesterday..I have connect it with usb on my Mac Book and when I listen music from youtube...I have on a fastidious white Noise high-volume! WHY???

When I listen mp3 on Macbook, Audio CD or when I work In DAW I don't have problems!!

Thanks

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 4
It could be a number of things.

No matter what the cause the noise is simply that, noise.  It is possible that the DAC inside the M-STAGE is introducing noise into the signal path by having a poor noise floor or high harmonic distortion.

You seem to be comparing apples to oranges here so I need some information.  When you listen to the same YouTube video without using the M-STAGE do you hear the noise?  If so it could simply be the quality of the YouTube video(s) and the noise is in the signal to begin with.

You could be saturating the DAC/Amp which may introduce a bunch of noise.  Try reducing the volume on your computer to say 75%.  That way the signal will not have a chance to saturate inside the M-STAGE.  Now use the M-STAGE to control the volume.

All I see on their site is the M-STAGE amp.  They call their DAC the Matrix Cube and mini.  Is it possible that your M-STAGE is really the amp and not the DAC?  This would explain the noise due to simple amplification of an already poor signal.  Without using a better DAC, because you are using the one inside your Mac, the amp simply amplifies the already noisy signal.

Would you be able to post either a picture of your M-STAGE or a link to the exact picture of what you have?  This we can better help you.  It sounds like you are amplifying an already poor signal to me.  If I remember right the MacBook has a decent DAC in it, but when you connect your amp via USB you may be picking up some serious noise from other components within your computer like the power cord, processor, and mouse if you are using one.

Which of the following is your device:

A)  http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-cube-24-192-asrc-dac-headphone-amp-p-186.html

B)  http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-c-67.html

Here are the listed features for the M-Stage straight from their site.
Features
·         New 2012 version with upgraded power transformer and redesigned circuit
·         Powerful output that can drive high impedance headphones (up to 600 Ω)
·         High quality components including ALPS VR, Nichicon caps, OPA2134 Op-Amps, etc
·         2 sets of line inputs selectable on the front panel
·         Can be used as a pre-amp with the line output on the back panel
·         Gain selectors can set 0, 10, 18 and 20 dB gains
·         Solid build with aluminum faceplate and steel case
·         Fully dynamic and well balanced sound on a dead quiet background

Here is another Head-fi member's take on the issue.  It looks like they hear the hum at very high volumes too.  Perhaps the simplest of solutions is to turn the volume down.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 4
I Have Matrix M-Stage but DAC USB version.

If I connect M-stage whitout dac and I use it only like amp...I don't heard noises!!
I try reducing volume on Macbook but the noise are at high volume always!!!

Video at 240p don't have problems!!! CRAZY!!

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Perhaps either the DAC is not as good as the one in your Mac or there is a bit depth mismatch.  I hear this on my m903 when I change to various bit depths.  Perhaps there is a setting on your Mac to change the bit depth to 16-bit or 24-bit.  Try those or whichever ends up sounding better.  To me the noise floor and audio was better at 24-bit with my m903, but that is because it is a 24-bit device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back