White noise/static when using my Corda 2 Move with Denon receiver!
Jun 18, 2008 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kingmajix

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my Corda 2 Move and I love it but I have a question.

My setup is PS3 -> Denon A/V Receiver -> Corda connected via the Denon's headphone jack. I set it up so the volume on the Corda is maxed and I increase the volume on the Denon until I get to the desired level.

When I do this I notice that there is a white noise I can hear through my headphones. It gradually decreases as I lower the Corda's volume until I get to about halfway then I can no longer hear the noise.

1. Is this noise/static normal? Is it possibly due to my interconnect? (1/8 mini to 1/8 mini with a 1/4 adapter) I did the same test with the headphone out on my iPod and there was no static/noise even with the Corda volume maxed.

2. Is this the best way to use the Corda with my receiver assuming I have to use the headphone jack? I was going off my friend's advice so I'm not even 100% sure this is the best way of using the Corda with my Denon.

Thanks!

Scott

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 9
I always get better results, when *nothing* in an audio chain set-up is maxxed-out in any way.
I really don't think components are designed to be used at max volume, unless absolutely necessary for unusual situations.

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Let me get this straight. You have the corda connected from the receiver via the receiver's headphone jack? Use the tape out from the back of the receiver. Use an rca to mini adapter for this connection. I think you will have better results. You need to be using the analog out from the ps3 into the receiver though. Mine won't do digital input out the tape out.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Mine won't do digital input to the tape out either. I totally forgot about using the analog!

I tried it and it sounds much better going PS3 analog out -> Denon pre out -> Corda. Thanks for the idea!

One other question - it looks like the PS3 can only do one audio out at a time. So it seems I have to switch the setting to AV out when I want to listen to a CD via analog and switch it back to optical out to get 5.1 when I'm watching a DVD/BD. Is that right?

Scott

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Glad to hear it!

I don't know for sure about the ps3, but I wonder if it won't switch automatically??? But someone else here with a ps3 might know.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 9
It is the AV amp connected to your PS3. I do the same, but I have my Sennheisers hooked up to an Astro Mixamp and when I plug my Ipod in or just use it, I hear the static.

It goes down when I turn the volume down though so its no problem, you don't have anything broken or wrong I don't think.

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 9
Can you plug the headamp directly into the PS3 via analog? And keep the digital signal for your receiver.

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always get better results, when *nothing* in an audio chain set-up is maxxed-out in any way.
I really don't think components are designed to be used at max volume, unless absolutely necessary for unusual situations.

X2

It's why i think the iPod's LO is so overrated. It's turning the volume up to max, which means the signal your amp gets is compressed. The source amp has no no juice left over for dynamics.

And as to your question, my Headsix has hiss above about 9 o'clock on the volume dial. It seems reasonable that the Move2 might be similar. Turn that down a bit, and your problem might be solved.

But I don't understand your setup. Why use all those compenents in line (other than to creat a cool wire path)? Your home amp may not be specialized for headphones, but it certainly provides enough current to to run them well, and almost certainly better than a battery-operated amp. I haven't done a lot of A/B critical listening, but I'm pretty sure my Denon receiver sounds better with headphones than my Headsix.

And why use both the PS3 and the Clip? The PS3 is already capable of playing the MP3s...not criticizing, just wondering.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 9
Wow, I definitely didn't expect this thread to rise from the dead over a month after the last post!

Anyway, the reason I was trying this setup is because my friend who has an even higher end Denon receiver than me is running his Headroom Airhead amp the same way and swears the sound quality is better. I thought I'd give it a try myself. When I heard the hiss I was dismayed and thus the post.

What I found out since then is this:

1. It seems that I had it backwards. The recommended way to do this is to 80% max out the Denon volume then inch up the Move as necessary. I was doing it the other way around. This totally eliminates the hiss I was hearing.

2. It was a huge pain to set up, but I can just run the PS3 to the receiver to the stereo outs to go into the Corda. Since my Denon doesn't allow digital to analog same source switching (either the PS3 has to be digital or analog, not both) I had to figure out a workaround but I finally got it to work. Now I'm avoiding the headphone jack completely.

In the end, I find that the sound quality *is* better. After extensive comparisons, I find that the Corda increases the soundstage a bit and, perhaps most importantly, tames the Beyer bass beast. I've never been one to complain about bass in my phones but after hearing the bass through the Denon then the Corda, I never want to go back to the Denon headphone jack alone again.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back