white noise from the Prodigy jack, but not from the amp
Dec 29, 2006 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DesmondDavidH

100+ Head-Fier
I have this strange problem, if I connect my SR60 to my AUDIOTRAK Prodigy 7.1 lineout with headphone amp turned on I have a low white noise, low but annoying and audible. If I turn the amp off via the panal, it disappear.

BTW, this is not the setup I use everyday, in fact I plugged the Grado to the AUDIOTRAK just to make a test. My actual setup is Prodigy -> Marantz PM-63 (my good old stereo amplifier, with a supermarket RCA-jack cable) -> SR60. And there's no trace of noise even at loud sounds level. The white noise appears *only* at insane volume levels, and yes I can hear the difference if I turn the Prodigy amp on/off. But I repeat, I can't hear it even at loud volumes, it must be at space shuttle launch levels.

To my newbie eyes, I would expect more noise for the added amplifier circuitery of my Marantz headphone out... not from a direct connection to the sound card (okok, in the terrible PC environment) -_-°.

I guess there's a clear explanation to this, or not? Please don't tell me I need a better headphone amp, because I know I do, but I have no funds atm and I have a MS-2i to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back