white noise during dead silence..
May 2, 2007 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ziplock

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

Is this normal or not? Is it always this way? My life is never quiet, especially with two toddlers! The other day while I was able to enjoy some silence at a friends, it was not completely silent. I noticed faint white noise that did not variate or go away. Maybe it's always been this way and I never noticed till now? Hopefully I am not developing Tinnitus!
plainface.gif

~Zip

May 2, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 9
The quieter the area is, the more you perceive slight sources of sounds.

For example, a person breathing may be inaudible in a loud office environment but very audible if you're sitting in a quiet room.

So the white noise you're hearing is either the blood rushing around your head (That's what you hear when you hold a conch shell against your ear,) or the airflow in the room you're in.

May 2, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quieter the area is, the more you perceive slight sources of sounds.

For example, a person breathing may be inaudible in a loud office environment but very audible if you're sitting in a quiet room.

So the white noise you're hearing is either the blood rushing around your head (That's what you hear when you hold a conch shell against your ear,) or the airflow in the room you're in.

Quite so. Worry not, this is very much normal!

May 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Wow, me too. I've been wondering about that for years but have been scared to ask.

May 2, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 9
It's depressing, really. For all practical purposes, silence is impossible to hear, and therefore nonexistent.
frown.gif

May 2, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's depressing, really. For all practical purposes, silence is impossible to hear, and therefore nonexistent.
frown.gif

What a conundrum! I guess when you think about it, thats absolutely correct!

May 2, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

You can't hear silence, but then you can't see music. Silence could be the absence of sound waves, or it could be the experience of the absence of sound waves. Silence cannot be heard, but it can be experienced.
smily_headphones1.gif
Of course, that's coming from someone with tinnitus, so grain of salt, box of chiclets, etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back