White noise coming from my Essence STX from 44.1KHz
May 25, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 35
Only low-impedance here.

May 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #17 of 35
I have the STX and it's silent as the tomb, even using low impedance phones. I listen at fairly low levels, though I don't think that would be a factor.

May 26, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 35
As stated on the review by XbitLabs, this problem is present on every STX/ST; you can't hear it when you listen to music cause the hiss/noise is really really low, but audible if you pay close attention and there is silent around you. If you hear it one time, you'll hear it forever...

May 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #19 of 35
I'd imagine it's much easier to hear when using headphones with decent isolation, otherwise the hum coming from the PC will simply be louder than the white noise and render it inaudible.

May 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 35
I spent a decent amount of time making my PC silent. You can barely notice the PC being on, so I can definitely hear the noise at 44.1KHz. You are right about always hearing it now. I can tell that the noise is there during the low volume parts of music and its makes the experience less enjoyable.

I opted to just set my STX (Control Panel and Control Center) to 96KHz/24-bit. I kind of want to know if this will degrade the quality of my FLAC (44.1KHz) files, but at the same time I don't want to know...

If you know what I mean.

Quote:
I'd imagine it's much easier to hear when using headphones with decent isolation, otherwise the hum coming from the PC will simply be louder than the white noise and render it inaudible.

May 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 35
As stated on the review by XbitLabs, this problem is present on every STX/ST; you can't hear it when you listen to music cause the hiss/noise is really really low, but audible if you pay close attention and there is silent around you. If you hear it one time, you'll hear it forever...

I tried it with three different sets of headphones, no music yesterday evening. Not a whisper of white noise.

One issue the OP may want to look into is the power supply. I upgraded my power supply when I got the card and there's a suggestion on the head-fi thread posted above that insufficient power could be an issue.

May 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #22 of 35
I just switched to the headphone out (lowest gain setting, 44.1KHz,) 64 Ohm PRO550s, played some music, stopped it -- the white noise is still there. I'm using the Corsair CMPSU-650TX. That's more than enough for my setup, and it's not exactly a cheap or inefficient PSU either, quite the opposite. My previous setup ran on the Tacens Valeo 480W, which was also very good and served me well.

The low quality built-in headphone amp is the problem, not our PSUs.

May 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 35
I just switched to the headphone out (lowest gain setting, 44.1KHz,) 64 Ohm PRO550s, played some music, stopped it -- the white noise is still there. I'm using the Corsair CMPSU-650TX. That's more than enough for my setup, and it's not exactly a cheap or inefficient PSU either, quite the opposite. My previous setup ran on the Tacens Valeo 480W, which was also very good and served me well.

The low quality built-in headphone amp is the problem, not our PSUs.

Ok, not my experience is all I'm saying.

May 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidesear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I opted to just set my STX (Control Panel and Control Center) to 96KHz/24-bit. I kind of want to know if this will degrade the quality of my FLAC (44.1KHz) files, but at the same time I don't want to know...

I don't see any real advantage to setting up only @ 44.1kHz, this is only a puritan thing, nothing else.  Is just impossible to hear the differences.  Lets suppose it hasn't any background noise if no one tells you which frequency is begin played you just couldn't tell the differences at all !

CDs should had been 48kHz since start, and not 44.1kHz, they only did that ($ony did) to be able to fit 9th Beethoven's symphony back there.

Besides 16-bit is pretty limited compared to real 24-bit audio (you can hear the differences on orchestral music w/o much effort).

If you wanna fix that noise, try to change the OPAmps if the problem is still there, then I would blame the headphone amp (TPA6120A2).  Lately could even be the internal clock (they used a crappy one) or your PSU (keep in mind they used Sanyo caps too).

May 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 35
I changed the OPAmps to LME49720NA's in the I/V and the problem remains. Although, I found an even better solution than before by just using ASIO out of Foobar2000. From what I read it changes the sample rate based on the file you are playing automatically.

I have also just started using the STX line out going to my FiiO E9. I am happy now (other than a couple or quirks with the E9.) I might end up going with the Matrix M-Stage eventually. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back