White Noise Audio Headamp problem
Jun 10, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #16 of 22
Chris sent me a few pics of his WNA and I've uploaded them to some spare web space so they can be examined here.

wna%20006.jpg

wna%20005.jpg

wna%20002.jpg

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 22
chris,
you really need some flux-cleaner for that pcb. also get yourself a side cutter to shorten the out-sticking legs down. some solder points could need some "de-fattening" with desolder-braid, just the way mike described it above.
don't worry: i lifted two tranny-pads myself because i only had really bad desolder-braid (it just didn't want to suck that s*** up) in combination with my 15w-iron. so i had to learn my lessons, too... and mike was always a good (but brutally honest...
biggrin.gif
) guide.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 22
The middle picture shows the fault. Right in the middle of the pic is an upside down U - shaped track. You can see that its not connected to the right hand solder pad.
Yes - now you can see why I didnt want to post the pics.
Thats the result of soldering and unsoldering lots of components. The legs have been shortened and it looks a bit better now.

Jun 11, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 22
chris,
i can see you fitted input- and output-caps while using ad8610. in case your source is dc-offset-free, i'd recommend to get rid of both input- and output caps... you'll be surprised about the hidden qualities of your amp, once the veil is lifted...
wink.gif

/edit: if you plan to use the lm6171 once in the future, leave at least the output-caps in, or take a look at mike's modding pages on how to fit 10m-resistors + 100k trimmer to zero the offset.

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Hi Chris,

What components is this?

attachment.php

Think they came from RS components - they are Current regulators - thats the only package they did them in.

I might put the lm6171s back in after a while to compare - thanks for the tip, though, might try that. I'm not touching it again at the moment though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back