Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Sep 29, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #902 of 1,413
got to wait till leafs open the season, then delwhinney 15 gets cracked. Keeps me from the good stuff. :)

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #903 of 1,413
I wish that a Scotch whiskey style had worked for me, but I have never taken to Scotch. Luckily there is so much excellent American bourbon and Canadian whiskey that I have enough variety.
You should try Oban, to me it's quite a neutral & tasty scotch. I can't handle the peat, but Oban has none of that. Try it at a bar first ... it's ~$80 a bottle.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #904 of 1,413
If one is coming from bourbon, I think a Speyside whisky is a good intro: they're generally considered the sweetest, and going for Aberlour 10 (which is aged in sherry and bourbon casks) is a good stepping stone.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #905 of 1,413
If you can afford it and can find it, dalmore king Edward 3rd. It’s a luscious combo of various casks, no peat, very well the most unlikely scotch that’s scotch.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #908 of 1,413
Balvenie Caribbean Cask .
Ah I forgot about that one - probably because it is too sweet for me. :) But it's a great drop for introducing someone to Single Malts from Scotland.

And if you care to try a Japanese whisky, try Suntori Toki.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #909 of 1,413
Ah I forgot about that one - probably because it is too sweet for me. :) But it's a great drop for introducing someone to Single Malts from Scotland.

And if you care to try a Japanese whisky, try Suntori Toki.

Another good suggestion, and one of the few Japanese whiskies that hasn’t seen huge price escalation. Nikka 21YO is another light/sweet option, but it’s gotten too expensive to recommend to someone who might decide Scotch style whisky isn’t their thing.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #910 of 1,413
Nikka 21yr - I would love to try that some day. I have a Nikka 12yr which is nice, and I have tried their Coffey grain whisky but was left underwhelmed by it.

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #912 of 1,413
The safest Scotch for most first-timers or bourbon drinkers to try is usually something sweet like a Macallan 12 or Auchentoshan Three Wood.

I came from bourbon to Scotch, but Auchentoshan Three Wood is one of my least-liked Scotches. I was hoping it would improve after being opened for awhile, but even after months, it still reminds me of cough syrup.

Glengoyne 12, 18, 21 are all good, though, as well as value-leaders Bunnahabhain 12 (real rich, creamy gem) and Sherry-goodness Tomatin 18, which I prefer over more expensive Macallan 15, for example.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #913 of 1,413
So many helpful and I am sure yummy suggestions! Sadly as I have returned to university late in life so splurging on better spirits isn't in the tea leaves. I wish I could be dropping $100 plus a bottle (remember I shop in Canadian dollars). Now if there are any wealthy benefactors out there who want to gift me a bottle I'll put it to great use:wink:. In the meantime I still greatly enjoy Wild Turkey bourbon. That is a taste profile that always works for me.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #914 of 1,413
Glengoyne 12, 18, 21 are all good, though, as well as value-leaders Bunnahabhain 12 (real rich, creamy gem) and Sherry-goodness Tomatin 18, which I prefer over more expensive Macallan 15, for example.

I agree that Bunnahabhain is a gem and completely different character than other Islay malts (and needs more fan fare). I first heard about it from Ralfy reviews on Youtube, and was able to find it at even cheaper prices since its US distributor used to be right here in Atlanta. Its not like other Islay malts that are peaty (and are now my main go to Scotches). It does have a salty character and is not cloyingly malty, peaty, or oaked. I had a friend stay with me for a few weeks (who drank American or Irish whiskey), who thought other Islay malts jet fuel, but did like Bunnahabhain.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #915 of 1,413
So many helpful and I am sure yummy suggestions! Sadly as I have returned to university late in life so splurging on better spirits isn't in the tea leaves. I wish I could be dropping $100 plus a bottle (remember I shop in Canadian dollars). Now if there are any wealthy benefactors out there who want to gift me a bottle I'll put it to great use:wink:. In the meantime I still greatly enjoy Wild Turkey bourbon. That is a taste profile that always works for me.

I believe Aberlour 12 tends to be an accessible single malt Scotch that should be a safe dram to try at a bar (and perfectly malty for bourbon drinkers). Canadian whiskey is pretty sweet...don't think there's another style that approaches it:blush: I think it's also nice that rye whiskeys are becoming more popular: before prohibition, they were the most popular American whiskey. Bulleit rye is a daily go to for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back