Whirlwind Amp
Feb 15, 2007 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jhendri2

100+ Head-Fier
First post, let me intriduce myself. I am 35 years old and a member of the US Air Force, for the last 17 years. I am an admitted audiophile, but only recently got into head-fi. I've been reading the forums and am impressed with the amount of knowledge available. With that out of the way, here's my question:

Does anyone have any experience with this amp:

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/ftp/Blac...als/pa1man.pdf

I see them on fleabay for $200. Just curious if anyone has tried them. I'll be using it with my Senn 650's and an iPod. I currently use my Senn's on my home system, but recently got an iPod and want to use them with it also.

Jim

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Yup, I got this amp, Whirlwind PA1. This is an interesting amp with both balance and unbalance inputs (need some DIY works to work out the unbalance input), yet portable (but huge
icon10.gif
)

Functional wise, it's great but as for its sound quality, imho, it's just OK. It may be an interesting amp for those who would like to mod. it to explore its full potential.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't have anything useful to add on that amplifier, but...

Welcome to Head-Fi,
and thank you for your sacrifice and service to our country.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendri2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am 35 years old and a member of the US Air Force, for the last 17 years. I am an admitted audiophile, but only recently got into head-fi. I've been reading the forums and am impressed with the amount of knowledge available.

I thought you fly-boys spend all your money on fast cars
icon10.gif

Welcome to head-fi, where people spend more on head-phones than on anything else - or is that just me?

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the welcome everyone. As far as the fast cars, sorry but I'm a country boy, so I got a 4wd Dodge Hemi. After looking over the site a lot more I've decided to get the Gilmore Lite amp. I think it has a little better reputation and doesn't cost much more.

Jim

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 7
I think thats a good decision.

Now buy it and get the hell outta here, and don't look back!

Else you'll have 8 amps on the shelf, and 6 pairs of phones, 4 DAPs, and 2 DACs, and be left wondering what the hell happened to the savings account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back