Whip me into shape!
Jan 7, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 43
The number 1 solution for losing weight is your diet. Contrary to common opinion, excercise does not make you lose weight by itself, especially not weight training (on the contrary).

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #33 of 43
Ok, ok...I'll be more responsible!
biggrin.gif
Well since exercise is going to be involved, I recommend to run on the running machine with speakers behind you (like the sound is "chasing" you, lol; play a track with some guy's footsteps and breathing, then pretend you're trying to get the screw OUT of THERE, lol...dab a towel on you, then drink something and repeat
tongue.gif
). Also, just walking around, or standing more than usual, does a LOT more than you'd think (h**, sometimes if I just walk enough, my d*** pants will fall down a little). Standing up when watching TV is a lot of fun (or standing for anything that usually involves sitting), if you're up for the challenge...tee-hee! Also if all else fails, you could try something more off-beat, like sun-gazing (I've tried this, made my eyes and hair a bit lighter; easier to breathe; hunger decrease, yet give me a more natural appetite; I don't do this anymore though, for obvious reasons--but it's a lot more fun to look at the moon).

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin
The number 1 solution for losing weight is your diet. Contrary to common opinion, excercise does not make you lose weight by itself, especially not weight training (on the contrary).

You need both diet and weight training for effectiveness. Diet is very important though. But why weight training?

Weight training increases your body's metabolism after you lift. Your cells need to recover and repair after strenuous exercise. Cardiovascular exercise increases your metabolism for approx. 12-13 hours after working out. Weight training increases your metabolism for 2 days after working out.

Weight training is useless if you don't eat properly, though, IMO.

However, since the OP wants to build muscle, weight training is a must.

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
The haredest part for me, is not seeing results. It takes time to see something happen, and I usually lose interest after a few weeks, and seeing barely any difference. This was the onle rreason I was looking at the Thermogenics, hoping to see some early results, which would keep me motivated. It seems you are all against it, so I do not think I am going that route, but I am still researching it.

Thanks for all the help!

I would suggest having a different mindset. Do diet and exercise because it makes you feel good and invigorated. It's a commitment to overall well-being. If you think like this, the cut body will naturally follow.

The guys on the covers of Men's Health have their diets and exercises to make them feel good about themselves and their health. Looking good is secondary.

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I would suggest having a different mindset. Do diet and exercise because it makes you feel good and invigorated. It's a commitment to overall well-being. If you think like this, the cut body will naturally follow.

The guys on the covers of Men's Health have their diets and exercises to make them feel good about themselves and their health. Looking good is secondary.

Oh I don't care so much about looking good, I just want to see that soemthing has occurred. I have a wonderful, long term girlfriend, who is happy with how I look ( I really don't look like I'm overweight, just to set the record straight) so its not like I'm doing this to get the ladies.

It kinda like the same reason I bought 325i's over the 225's. The 225's look like my old SR80's, and I didnt want to look at my new purcahse and see no difference. If I'm gonna pony up the cash (or in this case all the diet & exercise) I want to see what I worked for.

Oh head-fi, why must you take my life over so that I can't talk about normal things without the mention of headphones?

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20

I currently wish to lose some body fat. I am not necessarily looking to lose weight (although that may be a good thing) but I am rally looking to tone up, and drop my body fat %.

(...) I don't enjoy working out much

In a past life (as a tennis pro) I was what you dream to be....
biggrin.gif

Forget the exercice part, not your first priority, and concentrate on the nutrition part. Can you say....[size=medium]boiled chicken and brocoli[/size]....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good luck.

Amicalement

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
In a past life (as a tennis pro) I was what you dream to be....
biggrin.gif

Forget the exercice part, not your first priority, and concentrate on the nutrition part. Can you say....[size=medium]boiled chicken and brocoli[/size]....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good luck.

Amicalement

As an alternative, you can live in japan and eat rice and fish for breakfast. After one year, I looked 18 again (I'm 39). Ask Bernard Hopkins why he was a boxing world champion at 40.

Jan 8, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #41 of 43
currently i'm forcing myself a 50 pushup and 50 situps a day since about 2-3 weeks. something is better than nothing i figured. i feel good..

Jan 8, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin
As an alternative, you can live in japan and eat rice and fish for breakfast.

Humm...fish at 6 am....not sure I could survive...
biggrin.gif

I spent too much time in gyms and one thing I can testify with 100% certainty is that there is a large part of the crowd that is still growing enormous muscles under considerable amount of fat.

Too much push up and not enough planning for a balanced diet.

Amicalement

Jan 8, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Humm...fish at 6 am....not sure I could survive...
biggrin.gif

I spent too much time in gyms and one thing I can testify with 100% certainty is that there is a large part of the crowd that is still growing enormous muscles under considerable amount of fat.

Too much push up and not enough planning for a balanced diet.

Amicalement

Well said. Could not agree more. By the way, the rice is usually eaten in a bowl of tea.

Amitiés !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back