Which would you go with?
Apr 5, 2007 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tony8404

New Head-Fier
Okay, I just bought a Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card. When i changed the old card and put the new one in i decided to reinstall windows from scratch. I had vista 32bit installed at first but was wondering would xp 64bit be better to use? i dont have vista 64 bit yet but someday i will. as for the time being i have to choose between installing xp 64bit or vista 32 bit. Which would be the better choice to go with? i usually game on the pc and listen to some music thats about it besides internet. i have a dfi lanparty cfx3200 with an amd 64 3500 cpu with 2 gig memory. thanks

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 8
My thoughts are just to find 64bit drivers for ALL your hardware if you go that route. As a gamer I have found that several of the games I play don't run on XP64 (such as Raven Shield). There isn't a real performance benefit to XP64 unless you have more than 4 gigs of ram and there wouldn't be any audio related benefits that I'm aware of. I went with XP Pro SP2 because it works. Vista should be fine if it worked before.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 8
I don't think there is much point in using XP 64. In my opinion it was cobbled together at the last minute in order to catch the 64 bit wave and will be soon discarded as Vista 64 becomes more popular. I'd wait for Vista 64 drivers to stabilize and ensure that all your games and programs will function well. Only at that point would I consider a 64 bit OS unless there is a necessity for it.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 8
There is no performance benefit of running 64 bit if your programs are all 32 bit. Some games have 64 bit support which allows for improved graphics possible only in 64 bit, but speed is still the same. I would go Vista 32 bit as that is the new OS. I would rather spend money on that than on a cobbled together OS in 64 bit that will be obsolete in the near future. 64 bit drivers are still pretty shady.

I run an AMD FX-55 on XP 32 and play a few games. The reason I'm still on XP 32 is there is no good reason to switch to XP 64 when I did the research a few months back. Buy the Vista DVD, install the 32 bit version, and when the time is right, reformat and install the 64 bit version as I believe it has both on the DVD.

read this for more info.
http://www.windows-vista-update.com/...ta_64_bit.html

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 8
yeah i am gonna go with vista 32 then.. i already tried it and love the new look. guess there goes my whole night i will be up installing all night woohoo... hey i got a good question for your guys.. i have call of duty 2 but i lost the cd1 but have all the other cd's any help on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back