Which would You buy?
Apr 7, 2006 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AlienPyro

Head-Fier
If you were ampless and wanted a set of headphones for: at-home usage, bass practice, and occasional portable use, which of the following three would you purchase?

Sennheiser HD 280s
AKG 271s
Sennheiser HD 25s

Of course, by "you" I mean "me," but you probably picked that one up...

I should mention, a local store stocks the AKG 271 for 1100 RMB (about $135). This is, of course, a spanking good deal with the only caveat being that I am ampless with only an iPod as a source. If the 271s seriously underperform without an amp, I wouldn't feel justified in buying them.

As for my musical preferences, much of it is composed of rock of all sorts. Classic rock, indie rock, prog rock, metal, hard rock, funk rock...
However, I do listen to a good deal of Jazz and Vocal-based music, so tonal diversity is pretty important.

Also, I happen to like a fuller presentation of bass would prefer a smoother midrange (i.e. no sibilance).

Head-fi'ers who've had experience with these headphones, please advise! And please do make a go at deciding which one you would buy if in my situation.

*edit* I just realized, the Beyerdynamic DT 250-250/80 would also fit the bill quite nicely. Sorry for the late addendum.

Apr 7, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Sorry......wrong post.....

Apr 7, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 6
Definitely a "no" to the K271S. NEEDS an amp.
biggrin.gif

The HD280 is probably a lot better, you might also consider the MDR-V6 which is somewhat comparable to it.

Apr 7, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 6
If by HD25s, I assume you meant the HD-25-1, which would be what I got for. If you meant the HD25SP, then you should probably go for the DT250. The HD280 is love it or hate it. The K271 needs an amp and (I think!) has weak bass.

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 6
To incognitoedleon: Yeah, I do mean the HD25-1s. I really like the sturdiness and general rockability of their design.

Kramer, why don't you like the HD280s? They seem to get fairly good press among headphone users.

Asr: As for the V6, or 7506, I've heard that they have a rather sharp treble presentation; and if I wanted that, I could just whip out the Etys.

I wonder, which can would rock best with The Red Hot Chili Peppers or Fugazi...?
or Tori Amos
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back