Which would sound better? A Cowon S9, or an iPod touch+amp
Jan 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 10
unfair comparison: the s9 would get owned. you need to compare s9 with same amp and ipod touch with same amp. cowon have been known on some of the recent players to have a very good headphone out for driving amps, though not the best for driving headphones.

if s9 performs similarly to the d2, then it will drive an amp quite well. the ipod of course will do the same and have a great line out with which to smack the hell out of an amp.

headphone out with no amp: touch
headphone out with amp: toss us, maybe edge to s9 as it probably does better at 100% volume versus ipod
amped line out (touch) versus amped s9: touch
amped ipod versus s9 with no amp: touch would destory it: unfair.

the amp will solve the majority of faults in a portable and equalises them as much as can be. there is no portable on this planet that can peform as well as a dedicated amp and pairing the great sounding touch with an amp is unfair. it would be unfair even to pair the not great shuffle 2g with an amp and head to head with the s9.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unfair comparison: the s9 would get owned. you need to compare s9 with same amp and ipod touch with same amp. cowon have been known on some of the recent players to have a very good headphone out for driving amps, though not the best for driving headphones.

if s9 performs similarly to the d2, then it will drive an amp quite well. the ipod of course will do the same and have a great line out with which to smack the hell out of an amp.

headphone out with no amp: touch
headphone out with amp: toss us, maybe edge to s9 as it probably does better at 100% volume versus ipod
amped line out (touch) versus amped s9: touch
amped ipod versus s9 with no amp: touch would destory it: unfair.

the amp will solve the majority of faults in a portable and equalises them as much as can be. there is no portable on this planet that can peform as well as a dedicated amp and pairing the great sounding touch with an amp is unfair. it would be unfair even to pair the not great shuffle 2g with an amp and head to head with the s9.

Oh right, I never knew amps would make that much of a difference. The iPod touch is crap though as a source.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Touch has a bad EQ. But like shigzeo said, using the line out on an ipod makes it a contender in SQ.

Generally that is the more expensive route because you have to buy a lod and an amp so... yea.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Touch has a bad EQ. But like shigzeo said, using the line out on an ipod makes it a contender in SQ.

Generally that is the more expensive route because you have to buy a lod and an amp so... yea.

I just want something I can carry everyday in my pockets. What are "Lods" and are they pretty big to carry?

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 10
Bare in mind that amps magical properties are over exaggerated on this forums. It will make a difference.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 10
Cowon makes FANTASTIC sounding players. My d2 has the most flat and natural eq i've ever heard from a player. I never used any of the eq settings (and there are a ton of them). I just keep everything flat and it sounds amazing. So I would have to say that the S9 will sound better than any apple player.

just my 2,
2forty

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh right, I never knew amps would make that much of a difference. The iPod touch is crap though as a source.

iPod Touch HP out isn't crap.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod touch is crap though as a source.

Can you elaborate? Such a strong judgement. Have heard lots of different portables and although not the best, the 2G Touch can hold its own against most DAPs available in the market now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back