Which Wireless Headphones?
Sep 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mntwister

New Head-Fier
Hello. I spent the last hour searching for an appropriate thread to post in, but didn't find any that really matched my question, except for several that were long threads but closed.

About a year ago I purchased a pair of Elite Sony PS3 headphones. In my bedroom I have a 47" TV, PS3 and Dish Network DVR. The cups on the headphones both broke and Sony wouldn't cover them. But my problem with them was that everything I listened to was at the headphones max volume because almost everything was WAY too quiet.

They have a USB plug that goes into the PS3. This sends the signal to the headphones. On the USB plug is also a mini RCA jack for another source, like the output from the television. Other than PS3 games which were a decent level, I needed to turn the volume up to max just to get a low level from Streaming movies, many DVD's and Blu-rays and Dish DVR were very weak in volume even at max. Plus it seemed every program I watched had a different level, but all very low.

My question is: How is the volume on the Sennheiser RS 170's or 180's or other brands? I can't understand why none of these wireless Headphone companies ever list the type of amplification within the headphones, so one knows how loud they will go. I don't have any store near me to try the better ones out.

What I thought I would do is get an RCA splitter and input the PS3 into one input and the Dish Network DVR into another and then output to the RS 170 or 180. Any information you might have would really help. I want really good high volume this next time around, especially for the prices these headphones are and am open to any brands. I prefer to keep them $300 or less.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Get the Astro Mix-amp, connect to the PS3 and DVR using S/PDIF optical.
Spend the rest of your budget on headphones.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Would this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M6QAUG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR

Thanks Purple Angel, I can't seem to find that on Amazon or Best Buy except included with headphones. How does it work? I need to input my DISH network DVR and my PS3 and have one output....I was looking at mixers like the one in the link above. Does the Astro work the same? How does the amp work with wireless headphones on the Astro and does it have those 2 inputs? Their own website doesn't tell too much. (ps: I am a video and audiophile so will understand audio talk).

I decided to try the

Sennheiser RS 180 Digital Wireless Headphone System shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TLT10S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back