Which (wired) HiFi headphone for around 600-1500?
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FlatListener

Head-Fier
Hey all,
I have the AirPods max (APM) and they are a great mix of functionalities: ANC, wireless, reasonable sound. However, I would like to have another pair of wired headphones for the "now I need a great HiFi sound" moments.

What I would like:
- wired is okay
- best possible passive NC, by clamp force and/or materials, so that I can in fact enjoy them while in an office with low background noise or in the train or bus
- warmish sound
- brings the music closer to my ears than the APM does
- good soundstage where I can hear separate instruments and front vs back
- not too aggressive mids (don't like the PX8 for that reason)
- should play well with iPhone 14 pro
- amped if clearly beneficial, but prefer bare iPhone for ease of use (or maybe an amp is a no-brainer?)
- combined cans + amp price in the 600-1500 range
- I'm in The Netherlands

I tried:
- AirPods pro 2 (IEMs, not my thing)
- Beyerdynamic (had it for over 8 years): on ear model, too flat and of course not much passive NC
- B&W PX8: tiny bit too harsh mids (for me) and I prefer the APM's delicate and precise bass
- B&O H95: better (warmer) sound than the PX8, but not quite the soundstage I'm looking for, would like softer ear shells
I haven't tried the Bathys but don't like that ANC must be on all the time, so I'll skip that one
So I know these are lower end models and ANC/wireless (except for the Beyers). I am looking for a couple of target recommendations so that I can do efficient auditioning at the HiFi store. I'm in The Netherlands and not every brand is available in every HiFi store.

One store has Focal, Hifiman, Stax, Grado. Any good options there?

Thanks!!

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 4
Good soundstage but closer to your ears?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

You could try focal elegias, they are going quite cheap nowadays.

Grados are a no because they're open.

Hifimans are no because you won't want to take the few closed pairs they sell anywhere near a public place.

Stax....haha.

Perhaps a sony of some description? Z1r, mdrz7m2. Maybe even the mdr 1am2?

Try a bunch out and see what you personally consider to be a 'Hi-Fi' sound. It's just going to be a struggle to find a wired portable pair that don't need amping.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Give Bathys a try as it really hits lots of your points. I also had issues with the always-on ANC because I'm very sensitive to additional pressure it creates, but it seems that Focal found the sweet spot and their ANC set to soft doesn't disturb me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back