Which Who?
Oct 12, 2008 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
I am going to get some more "The Who" CDs since I only own the Ultimate CD. I came across the "Who are you" and there are two different versions of it. One mastered in 1996 and one in 2006 have any of you guys heard both?

My main concern is that the 2006 will be brick walled, but then again I have heard that some of the original "The Who" masters are bad as well.

Help me decide.

And if you know any well mastered "The Who" CDs that are not MFSL then drop a line.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Frederik

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Fang's site here :-

The Who - Who Albums

Has great info on all the who lp's and cd's. just click on the album you want, it shows all the different versions, click next and he gives you his impressions of the SQ for each version.

The answer he gives to your question is the Polydor( German ) issue.

Great site for who fans.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Getting the Polydor version looking forward to listening. Thanks for all the answers
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Here's a few more suggestions.

The "Tommy" 5.1 mix is fantastic. The DVD-A will also play in dolby digital on regular dvd players if you don't have DVD-A capability.

The album "Who's Next" is also a must-own. Many consider it to be the greatest rock album of all time. There is a redbook CD version mastered by Steve Hoffman that is still in production: it's the Canadian version.

Then there is "Quadrophenia," the ulitmate tale of teenage angst. It's a freaking masterpiece. I've never really heard a version that sounded bad, although I'm sure there are target versions out there if you research it on SH.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 7
I agree with ComfyCan; those are the best 3.
And 'Live at Leeds', to hear the band at its most energetic and loud
There is also an impressive DVD from 2000, 'live at the royal Albert'.

But if I would have to pick one single Who-album it would be 'Who's next'. (BTW, the remaster is not really great sounding, and adds some songs that were not part of the original album; no real need to get that one, if you can find the original CD it's okay too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back