Which web browser are you using? And what's wrong w/ my IE?
Feb 27, 2002 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
A few days ago internet explorer started freezing on me whenever I would check my email. It would only freeze the one window, others would be unaffected. The task manager says that it's running, so I'm not getting a "not responding" message. The problem seems to occur whenever I click a link that goes from one site to another - for example, I clicked on a link on head-fi that was to an audiogon auction, and that froze it, but I can click on links to posts on head-fi with no problem. I've updated my virus files and run a full system scan, and no problem there. I'm running IE 6 and windows 2k pro. Any ideas?

Anyway, all of this prompted me to try out Opera, which I'm liking very much so far. Might give Mozilla a shot too later tonight. So, what browser are you using, why do you prefer it to the competition, and do you guys have any idea what I can do about Internet explorer?

Feb 27, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 21
I use IE6 with win2k pro, it runs the fastest out of everything i've tried, and i have tried opera, too slow believe it or not! I was actually talking to a programmer friend and he also uses IE since it runs the fastest out of everything he's tried so far. He's always trying out new stuff. Of course, this is all my opinion, i'm no expert
wink.gif

Why not try reinstalling it?

Feb 27, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm primarily using IE6 with WinXP, but its got a glitch, where if you want to save a JPG file, it defaults to BMP on the save as option... and if you then type in manually 'Picture.JPG' nothing can read it, says the file is corrupt... and if I DO save the picture as a BMP, it calls it 'untitled' so I have to be creative with my thinking...

I've gone through all the options that i can think of, even to the point of going to a very early system restore, but still the same!

So, Netscape 6.2 is slowly creeping in... but, i'll admit wholeheartedly that IE is better (when it works!) - just try looking at Head-Fi with Netscape, you'll see what i mean!
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 21
I use Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (SP2), I get no problems with it, it's fast, renders poorly coded sites better, and I like the right click options. I think Nutscrape sux, CTRL+L, blah. Navigator 4.08 was ok, then they made it as part of Communicator only, the hell with that. Haven't tried Opera yet, I will some day.

Feb 27, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 21
Duncan, you usin' WinXP Home or Pro? I just installed Pro last night and I'm not having that problem... I had it in the past with IE5 and Win2k, but not with every picture. It did annoy me when it happened though.

Feb 27, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I'm primarily using IE6 with WinXP, but its got a glitch, where if you want to save a JPG file, it defaults to BMP on the save as option... and if you then type in manually 'Picture.JPG' nothing can read it, says the file is corrupt... and if I DO save the picture as a BMP, it calls it 'untitled' so I have to be creative with my thinking...

Gasp! My brother is having the same problem with his laptop which also has 2k pro...hmmm, something's up with IE eh?

confused.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 21
Unrelated, but I use Mac IE 5.1 for OS X and I have no issues with it whatsoever
smily_headphones1.gif
I prefer it to any other browser on the market, including IE for Windows...

Feb 27, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 21
IE 5.5 and WinMe. Works pretty well on my HP N5270 laptop. Liked Netscape 4.7, but they can keep 6 and all its dots.

Feb 27, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 21
Opera, because I'm a developer and it adheres closer than any other commercial browser to W3C specifications. Netscape 6 is a neutered Mozilla; both browsers interfaces are rigid. I get my fix of the Gecko engine with K-Meleon, a light version of Mozilla. IE6 has several display problems, most notably its handling of the dotted style value for the border property in CSS1.

If a site displays poorly in a modern browser, the page author is to blame for his or her bad syntax or less-than-adequate understanding of the DTD for which they were writing.

Even the web's brightest don't always validate; take Jakob Nielsen, for example.

NGF

Feb 27, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
Duncan, you usin' WinXP Home or Pro? I just installed Pro last night and I'm not having that problem... I had it in the past with IE5 and Win2k, but not with every picture. It did annoy me when it happened though.

XP Home here... I thought it was because I installed photoshop and selected every file format to belong to photoshop, but i've since uninstalled it, and the problem is still the same...

who knows? - lol... I don't

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 21
Wow, I have that glitch too! All of a sudden, IE started saving stuff as BMP (used to do jpg just fine.) I guess it's just time for a fresh install. Now the question is whether to stay with version 6 or go back to 5.5.

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 21
Opera. Faster than Netscape. I don't like Microsoft products, try to use the competition whenever possible/reasonable. Just out of general principle. Sort of like driving through puddles.

Feb 28, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 21
opera is purty nice but java support is iffy, its faster than IE on normal sites though.

I use em all, if netscape was faster id use it primarily. Right now my primary is IE although I would rather use opera, I just havent donwloaded it since my last system failure

Mar 1, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 21
DCG: I've been having a similar problem with IE & Outlook express for the past 3 or 4 weeks. Whenever I change websites, IE freezes for about 40 seconds, then finally changes. Also, most times when I go to send e-mail, it won't send until I reboot. I've tried to repair IE, then tried downloading a fresh copy of IE 6.0, then IE 5.5. It's still not working properly.

I wonder if there's a virus going around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back