Which way I should upgrade my Audio Setup?
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nicknoname

New Head-Fier
Hey. I am mostly a gamer and for a long time I owned Astro A40 TR with the included MixAmp. 9 months ago I stepped into PC gaming and 3 months ago I bought myself HD 650 with DacMagic XS (specs: http://prntscr.com/jz6ex6) I have connected HD 650 like this: 3.5mm connector from HD 650 -> DacMagic XS -> USB-port behind my PC.

I have been quite happy with them but no later than a week ago I stumbled upon Mad Lust's Headphone Guide and I honestly was not cheerful how he feels HD 650 functions for gaming. What he says about positioning with these headphones, I totally get him after 3 months of use and 300 hours usage time. I can play Rainbow Six Siege and I can hear an enemy is close to me, but very often I have no idea if he is right next to me or much further away.
About my choice of DAC, I think it's quite good because I can easily drive my HD 650's to such high volume I can't listen without damaging my hearing. Not sure if it's better than MixAmp and my Astros, because when I switched, I couldn't hear any difference in gaming audio. Listening to music though is way better with HD 650's than with Astros. Or is it because DacMagic XS is a lackluster company with HD 650? You tell me.

However I find nothing bad to say about these headphones when playing singleplayer games. But when I play multiplayer games, I play it seriously and I hate to die because I failed to position an enemy I could have otherwise killed.

I've come upon three different solutions:

1. Upgrade to better headphones for gaming, such as AKG K712 Pro (235€) and keep HD 650 for music. Also buy a better DAC/AMP like Creative Sound Blaster X7 for 288 €.

2. Keep HD 650 and buy better DAC/AMP like Creative Sound Blaster X7

3. Deal with the current situation?

What should I do? What would you do? I would like to hear you guys opinion about Sound Blaster X7 too.

Hope you can guide me to the right and the best direction!

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 19
Hey. I am mostly a gamer and for a long time I owned Astro A40 TR with the included MixAmp. 9 months ago I stepped into PC gaming and 3 months ago I bought myself HD 650 with DacMagic XS (specs: http://prntscr.com/jz6ex6) I have connected HD 650 like this: 3.5mm connector from HD 650 -> DacMagic XS -> USB-port behind my PC.

I have been quite happy with them but no later than a week ago I stumbled upon Mad Lust's Headphone Guide and I honestly was not cheerful how he feels HD 650 functions for gaming. What he says about positioning with these headphones, I totally get him after 3 months of use and 300 hours usage time. I can play Rainbow Six Siege and I can hear an enemy is close to me, but very often I have no idea if he is right next to me or much further away.
About my choice of DAC, I think it's quite good because I can easily drive my HD 650's to such high volume I can't listen without damaging my hearing. Not sure if it's better than MixAmp and my Astros, because when I switched, I couldn't hear any difference in gaming audio. Listening to music though is way better with HD 650's than with Astros. Or is it because DacMagic XS is a lackluster company with HD 650? You tell me.

However I find nothing bad to say about these headphones when playing singleplayer games. But when I play multiplayer games, I play it seriously and I hate to die because I failed to position an enemy I could have otherwise killed.

As much as you can improve on the tone and imaging with better amplification on the HD6xx series, it will not produce a wider soundstage, not the kind you need for gaming, not even if you use Meier, Violectric, O2, etc. For the most part what they'll give you is proportionally positioned instruments, but even with depth improvements on Meeirs and Violectrics with Crossfeed, that won't exactly transform them into a much wider half circle around your head that will help with positional audio for FPS games.

Virtual surround can help a little bit but even then it'll have about as much of an effect for improving FPS game and movie surround audio as Crossfeed does in just making for proportionally positioned instruments than making for a gigantic soundstage.

I've come upon three different solutions:

1. Upgrade to better headphones for gaming, such as AKG K712 Pro (235€) and keep HD 650 for music. Also buy a better DAC/AMP like Creative Sound Blaster X7 for 288 €.

2. Keep HD 650 and buy better DAC/AMP like Creative Sound Blaster X7

3. Deal with the current situation?

What should I do? What would you do? I would like to hear you guys opinion about Sound Blaster X7 too.

Hope you can guide me to the right and the best direction!

If you can afford to get the K712 (and an amp to drive it) then might as well go with that, probably sell the HD650 if you like that better for 2ch listening since its predecessors that I've heard have a wider soundstage (the flat pads and treble spike in the measurements are a little concerning for where these might image the cymbals though).

Depending on your motherboard's audio features you could go with a relatively cheaper DAC-HPamp that has about as much power (if not more) and cleaner for music also, although it might come with downsides. If your mobo has virtual surround then hook it up via SPDIF (if your FPS games have a specific headphone audio you can just use that and hook up a DAC-HPamp via USB) then use the AudioGD NFB-11. Downside of course is that depending on where you are shipping and taxes might make this higher, unless you find that or similar products used locally.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 19
As much as you can improve on the tone and imaging with better amplification on the HD6xx series, it will not produce a wider soundstage, not the kind you need for gaming, not even if you use Meier, Violectric, O2, etc. For the most part what they'll give you is proportionally positioned instruments, but even with depth improvements on Meeirs and Violectrics with Crossfeed, that won't exactly transform them into a much wider half circle around your head that will help with positional audio for FPS games.

Virtual surround can help a little bit but even then it'll have about as much of an effect for improving FPS game and movie surround audio as Crossfeed does in just making for proportionally positioned instruments than making for a gigantic soundstage.

If you can afford to get the K712 (and an amp to drive it) then might as well go with that, probably sell the HD650 if you like that better for 2ch listening since its predecessors that I've heard have a wider soundstage (the flat pads and treble spike in the measurements are a little concerning for where these might image the cymbals though).

Depending on your motherboard's audio features you could go with a relatively cheaper DAC-HPamp that has about as much power (if not more) and cleaner for music also, although it might come with downsides. If your mobo has virtual surround then hook it up via SPDIF (if your FPS games have a specific headphone audio you can just use that and hook up a DAC-HPamp via USB) then use the AudioGD NFB-11. Downside of course is that depending on where you are shipping and taxes might make this higher, unless you find that or similar products used locally.

Thank you for your reply. I see, I need wide soundstage for gaming. Maybe next time I can make the correct choice of headphones from the start! But yes, I I can afford for K712 Pro and most likely an amp as well.

My motherboard is Asus Prime X370 Pro. I did not find a mention about virtual surround, but it has 1x Optical S/PDIF. As audio it has Realtek S1220A.
I googled up a bit about the AudioGB NFB-11, can't buy and get shipped one here in Finland easily and with taxes and whatnot, total cost will be + 500 euros.

Would you recommend the Creative Sound Blaster X7 I mentioned paired with the K712 Pro? I can get one 288 € and without too much of a hassle. Or if you have any other recommendations, I'd be willing to pay around 400 euros for a proper amp. Something that is available in the EU as wel

But let me confirm this: you think HD 650 is "bad" for gaming and K712 Pro would be a much better choice - with a proper amp?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 19
The 712’s at 62 ohms and 105db sensitivity might be fine with the 150 mW output of the Dacmagic so I would give that a try first. The 650’s not what I would use for gaming .

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 19
Thank you for your reply. I see, I need wide soundstage for gaming. Maybe next time I can make the correct choice of headphones from the start! But yes, I I can afford for K712 Pro and most likely an amp as well.
My motherboard is Asus Prime X370 Pro. I did not find a mention about virtual surround, but it has 1x Optical S/PDIF. As audio it has Realtek S1220A.
I googled up a bit about the AudioGB NFB-11, can't buy and get shipped one here in Finland easily and with taxes and whatnot, total cost will be + 500 euros.
Would you recommend the Creative Sound Blaster X7 I mentioned paired with the K712 Pro? I can get one 288 € and without too much of a hassle. Or if you have any other recommendations, I'd be willing to pay around 400 euros for a proper amp. Something that is available in the EU as wel
But let me confirm this: you think HD 650 is "bad" for gaming and K712 Pro would be a much better choice - with a proper amp?
The HD650 is not considered the best choice for FPS gaming, but great audio quality, so guess you should keep using it for music and movies.
The DACmagic XS bypass the on-board sound card features, and the DACmagic XS provide zero headphone surround sound function.
So you really have been gaming in a stereo audio, unless the game your playing (itself) provides a headphone surround sound function.
For $30, Creative Labs will provide software (SBX Headphone) that works off your motherboard's on-board audio (but going that will not work with the DACmagic XS)

Audio-GD will claim a unit (NFB-11.28) value of around 70 to 75 Euros, with the shipper, so import tax will be low.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 19
My motherboard is Asus Prime X370 Pro. I did not find a mention about virtual surround, but it has 1x Optical S/PDIF.

Can't see it either but the SPDIF won't be that useful if the virtual surround isn't on the motherboard. You'll have to use a soundcard if you want to get virtual surround, or software like Razer Surround (which can work via USB). Likewise, check all your games. If your games have a "Headphone" sound mode option along with stereo and surround, then you can just use that (and if so you might have been using it all along).

If we're going to go with the price and (relatively local) availability then you pretty much don't have a choice if you need both an amp and virtual surround. Apart from the X7 your only option to have virtual surround DSP, a DAC, and a proper amp (or near it) to drive the K712 would be to get a PCI-E soundcard (for both the DSP and its DAC, mostly because you can't get just the DSP other than something that works purely in software with the CPU) for around €100 and then spend around €300 to €400 on something like the Meier Corda Jazz (from Germany) or the Corda Rock. You can check Schiit's EU distributor and maybe you can get the Magni3/Vali2 and Modi2 Uber. If either price is competitive then it's an option vs the X7 as the amp circuits on these would have lower noise.

Alternately if you're going to get a soundcard and you're more into gaming than just pushing for absolute best performance (ie enough power, very low THD+N) then you can get the SoundBlaster X AE-5 for a lot less than the X7. It's got about as much power into 32ohm loads (and the K712 at 62ohms is cloes enough), has low output impedance, and comparable noise performance unless your soundcard picks anything up from the interior of the computer. X7 at that point is only preferable if you need its 2ch speaker amplifier for using passive speakers on your desktop or if your motherboard (ie, mITX, mATX) or multi-GPU set up doesn't leave free space that won't get in the way of the GPU airflow or CPU tower cooler/GPU backplate clearance.

It's not really bad, but if you're going after any improvements (and even then I can't absolutely guarantee that it will actually help you frag everybody and win) then there's practically no other option but to get headphones that have a wider and deeper soundstage.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 19
Can't see it either but the S/PDIF won't be that useful if the virtual surround isn't on the motherboard. You'll have to use a sound card if you want to get virtual surround, or software like Razer Surround (which can work via USB). Likewise, check all your games. If your games have a "Headphone" sound mode option along with stereo and surround, then you can just use that (and if so you might have been using it all along).

For $30, Creative Labs will provide software (SBX Headphone) that will run on the Realtek on-board audio.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 19
The HD650 is not considered the best choice for FPS gaming, but great audio quality, so guess you should keep using it for music and movies.
The DACmagic XS bypass the on-board sound card features, and the DACmagic XS provide zero headphone surround sound function.
So you really have been gaming in a stereo audio, unless the game your playing (itself) provides a headphone surround sound function.
For $30, Creative Labs will provide software (SBX Headphone) that works off your motherboard's on-board audio (but going that will not work with the DACmagic XS)

Audio-GD will claim a unit (NFB-11.28) value of around 70 to 75 Euros, with the shipper, so import tax will be low.
Yeah, I have noticed it first-hand. I most likely will end up keeping HD 650, because I don't really need the cash I could get by selling them. And they are not by any means bad headphones.
Yes, I am aware I have been gaming in a stereo audio and I'm fine with that. I'd never play any competive multiplayer game with surround sound, but I'd love to play my singleplayer games with surround sound.
Interesting, but I'd be more willing to spend money towards more expensive AMP/DAC (mentioned a preferable maximum of 400 €) since at the moment I'm in a situation where I have money to buy things like these easily and that situation won't last too long, sadly.

Can't see it either but the SPDIF won't be that useful if the virtual surround isn't on the motherboard. You'll have to use a soundcard if you want to get virtual surround, or software like Razer Surround (which can work via USB). Likewise, check all your games. If your games have a "Headphone" sound mode option along with stereo and surround, then you can just use that (and if so you might have been using it all along).

If we're going to go with the price and (relatively local) availability then you pretty much don't have a choice if you need both an amp and virtual surround. Apart from the X7 your only option to have virtual surround DSP, a DAC, and a proper amp (or near it) to drive the K712 would be to get a PCI-E soundcard (for both the DSP and its DAC, mostly because you can't get just the DSP other than something that works purely in software with the CPU) for around €100 and then spend around €300 to €400 on something like the Meier Corda Jazz (from Germany) or the Corda Rock. You can check Schiit's EU distributor and maybe you can get the Magni3/Vali2 and Modi2 Uber. If either price is competitive then it's an option vs the X7 as the amp circuits on these would have lower noise.

Alternately if you're going to get a soundcard and you're more into gaming than just pushing for absolute best performance (ie enough power, very low THD+N) then you can get the SoundBlaster X AE-5 for a lot less than the X7. It's got about as much power into 32ohm loads (and the K712 at 62ohms is cloes enough), has low output impedance, and comparable noise performance unless your soundcard picks anything up from the interior of the computer. X7 at that point is only preferable if you need its 2ch speaker amplifier for using passive speakers on your desktop or if your motherboard (ie, mITX, mATX) or multi-GPU set up doesn't leave free space that won't get in the way of the GPU airflow or CPU tower cooler/GPU backplate clearance.

It's not really bad, but if you're going after any improvements (and even then I can't absolutely guarantee that it will actually help you frag everybody and win) then there's practically no other option but to get headphones that have a wider and deeper soundstage.

I don't think I need virtual surround, but I want it for my single-player games. I'm someone who prefers easiness and looking things from easy-perspective, it looks like X7 is winning. Am I correct?
I did look up into X AE-5 and it's an internal soundcard. I'm not even sure how do I connect it to the motherboard. I'm quite certain I'd appreciate more an external dac/amp. So it's not only restricted to use on my PC.

Haha, I don't expect to frag everybody and win but only better positioning of enemies. Anyways, this morning I ordered AKG K712 Pro for 205 €. I should receive them tomorrow. As @buke9 suggested, I'm first going to try hooking it up with my current DacMagic XS. But I'm quite certain I want better one, maybe one with surround capability.

As I'm personally leaning more towards Sound Blaster X7, is it by any means bad? I do think though it has so much to offer that I won't be fully utilizing everything, but because everything else worthwhile has to be shipped from the USA or somewhere else and not locally, I think X7 is a winner as I could snag one for 288 €. X7 costs 400 dollars on Amazon and that is 322 euros.

But I'm interested to hear any more suggestions for AKG K712 Pro DAC/AMP. I'm not making my purchase decision just now. I don't know if I need surround sound when I want it. Is it worth it? Can I get decent experience with something like X7 and K712 Pro or do I need to throw 1000 euros for a decent surround sound?
If I want surround, that does restrict my choices quite a bit, right?

I also forgot to mention that I have a standalone mic that is Blue Snowball Ice. It's plugged behind my PC on an USB-port. Whatever DAC/AMP I upgrade to, can I keep it that way and everything works?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 19
Yeah, I have noticed it first-hand. I most likely will end up keeping HD 650, because I don't really need the cash I could get by selling them. And they are not by any means bad headphones.
Yes, I am aware I have been gaming in a stereo audio and I'm fine with that. I'd never play any competive multiplayer game with surround sound, but I'd love to play my singleplayer games with surround sound.
Interesting, but I'd be more willing to spend money towards more expensive AMP/DAC (mentioned a preferable maximum of 400 €) since at the moment I'm in a situation where I have money to buy things like these easily and that situation won't last too long, sadly.

You might think you don't need the extra cash, but if you can add the proceeds to the associated electronics that will drive the K712 and get your virtual surround, then there's a way to utilize that and get a better system overall. If you raise your budget for example you can get a soundcard with virtual surround and an amp with very low THD+N but also have a lot of power for the K712. The HD650 has a sensitivity of 5dB/1mW higher than the K712 so even if you need the amp to provide a fair bit more towards voltage, it doesn't need a lot of it either, while he K712 will need a fair bit more voltage and current performance.

I don't think I need virtual surround, but I want it for my single-player games. I'm someone who prefers easiness and looking things from easy-perspective, it looks like X7 is winning. Am I correct?

For the most part if you're just thinking of installing drivers then hooking up a USB cable, then yes.

If you're going to use an external DAC-HPamp and just need an external soundcard purely for virtual surround then you can still do that on the cheap (on the soundcard anyway). Get something like an Asus Xonar U3 and use the included 3.5mm to SPDIF optical adapter to feed a DAC-HPamp like the NFB-11 or a DAC hooked up to an amp like a Schiit Modi2 Uber and Magni3/Vali2.

I did look up into X AE-5 and it's an internal soundcard. I'm not even sure how do I connect it to the motherboard.

Uhhh....kind of the same way you put the video card in. You just need to open it up and check if your motherboard has a spare PCI-E slot that is the same size as on a particular soundcard that isn't covered by your dual slot or thicker graphics card. For the most part they're using the shorter, lower bandwidth PCI-E type. Open the case, check; if there's a usable PCI-E slot just unscrew the corresponding block off plate on the rear panel, push the soundcard in, then screw it in in place of the cover. Uninstall any old sound drivers (including the motherboard's) and install the drivers and there you go.

'm quite certain I'd appreciate more an external dac/amp. So it's not only restricted to use on my PC.

Just note that it won't necessarily be through USB. While I've tested my Xonar U3 on my smartphones, no telling if the X7 will work through USB. SPDIF and analogue inputs should work, but note that even with SPDIF you need to have access to its software suite if you'll use the DSP, so you can't just move it to the other room and have it work on a Playstation (then again, if you have a PS on a big screen TV, might as well get an HT system to use with it).

As I'm personally leaning more towards Sound Blaster X7, is it by any means bad? I do think though it has so much to offer that I won't be fully utilizing everything, but because everything else worthwhile has to be shipped from the USA or somewhere else and not locally, I think X7 is a winner as I could snag one for 288 €. X7 costs 400 dollars on Amazon and that is 322 euros.

Well as long as you're not expecting it to be as good as a serious reference headphone system then it's fine, not to mention you can get it cheaper. I'm only suggesting alternatives for the amp with considerations that 1) you can sell your HD650 anyway and put the proceeds towards an amp or 2) if your focus is really just gaming then might as well get the AE-5 and keep the HD650 just for a different flavor for music if you don't like the K712 for that.

But I'm interested to hear any more suggestions for AKG K712 Pro DAC/AMP. I'm not making my purchase decision just now. I don't know if I need surround sound when I want it. Is it worth it? Can I get decent experience with something like X7 and K712 Pro or do I need to throw 1000 euros for a decent surround sound?
If I want surround, that does restrict my choices quite a bit, right?

Surround only restricts your choices in that you need to spend on a soundcard, and no, the total wouldn't even need to reach that high unless you're going to set up an HT system (at which point it's not enough for a good one). Xonar U3 is around $40, landed cost of the NFB-11 is around $500.

BTW you can switch off the surround on the soundcards when not gaming or watching movies. And if you go the U3 route, well, even if you decide you don't like using virtual surround, then you're only down by about $30, but you're left with a decent DAC-HPamp in the NFB-11.

I also forgot to mention that I have a standalone mic that is Blue Snowball Ice. It's plugged behind my PC on an USB-port. Whatever DAC/AMP I upgrade to, can I keep it that way and everything works?

Yes. Even if you get a soundcard, although you might have to go into the Windows sound options panel and manually designate the Snowball as your input device as the installation of a soundcard's drivers and DSP software suite might make Windows default to the soundcard as both input and output device.

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 19
You might think you don't need the extra cash, but if you can add the proceeds to the associated electronics that will drive the K712 and get your virtual surround, then there's a way to utilize that and get a better system overall. If you raise your budget for example you can get a soundcard with virtual surround and an amp with very low THD+N but also have a lot of power for the K712. The HD650 has a sensitivity of 5dB/1mW higher than the K712 so even if you need the amp to provide a fair bit more towards voltage, it doesn't need a lot of it either, while he K712 will need a fair bit more voltage and current performance.

For the most part if you're just thinking of installing drivers then hooking up a USB cable, then yes.

If you're going to use an external DAC-HPamp and just need an external soundcard purely for virtual surround then you can still do that on the cheap (on the soundcard anyway). Get something like an Asus Xonar U3 and use the included 3.5mm to SPDIF optical adapter to feed a DAC-HPamp like the NFB-11 or a DAC hooked up to an amp like a Schiit Modi2 Uber and Magni3/Vali2.

Uhhh....kind of the same way you put the video card in. You just need to open it up and check if your motherboard has a spare PCI-E slot that is the same size as on a particular soundcard that isn't covered by your dual slot or thicker graphics card. For the most part they're using the shorter, lower bandwidth PCI-E type. Open the case, check; if there's a usable PCI-E slot just unscrew the corresponding block off plate on the rear panel, push the soundcard in, then screw it in in place of the cover. Uninstall any old sound drivers (including the motherboard's) and install the drivers and there you go.

Just note that it won't necessarily be through USB. While I've tested my Xonar U3 on my smartphones, no telling if the X7 will work through USB. SPDIF and analogue inputs should work, but note that even with SPDIF you need to have access to its software suite if you'll use the DSP, so you can't just move it to the other room and have it work on a Playstation (then again, if you have a PS on a big screen TV, might as well get an HT system to use with it).

Well as long as you're not expecting it to be as good as a serious reference headphone system then it's fine, not to mention you can get it cheaper. I'm only suggesting alternatives for the amp with considerations that 1) you can sell your HD650 anyway and put the proceeds towards an amp or 2) if your focus is really just gaming then might as well get the AE-5 and keep the HD650 just for a different flavor for music if you don't like the K712 for that.

Surround only restricts your choices in that you need to spend on a soundcard, and no, the total wouldn't even need to reach that high unless you're going to set up an HT system (at which point it's not enough for a good one). Xonar U3 is around $40, landed cost of the NFB-11 is around $500.

BTW you can switch off the surround on the soundcards when not gaming or watching movies. And if you go the U3 route, well, even if you decide you don't like using virtual surround, then you're only down by about $30, but you're left with a decent DAC-HPamp in the NFB-11.

Yes. Even if you get a soundcard, although you might have to go into the Windows sound options panel and manually designate the Snowball as your input device as the installation of a soundcard's drivers and DSP software suite might make Windows default to the soundcard as both input and output device.

First and foremost, I need to say thank you for guiding me already this far. I really appreciate the help I get. I'm sorry but I don't know how to use this quote system properly as I don't venture much in forums.

I can raise my budget a bit even without selling my HD 650's. Now I'm actually super excited what you said. If I get Asus Xonar U3, I have no need to open my PC case at all, correct? What if I still bought the mentioned SoundBlaster AE-5 and NFB-11.28, and just to clarify it is this: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm ? Is my surround experience at a whole new level if I buy AE-5 + NFB 11.28 rather than Xonar U3 + NFB? Though I think it's better I start with Xonar U3 - if I don't like the surround.

Thanks for making clear this PCI-e thing. Silly me, why wouldn't a motherboard that cost 160 euros have extra PCI-e slot..

After your message, I'm now definitely leaning towards getting a soundcard + NFB-11. If the link I provided indeed is the NFB-11 we are talking about, I have to ask maybe a silly question: Is it ready to be used immediately after unboxing or do I need to configure the system, like opening the case and change circuits? Most of the stuff they are explaing on that link mean absolutely nothing to me and only leave me scared, that I need to be some sort of technician to use this product correctly ?

And what does DAC-HPamp mean? I know DAC and AMP but that HP there leaves me confused.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 19
First and foremost, I need to say thank you for guiding me already this far. I really appreciate the help I get. I'm sorry but I don't know how to use this quote system properly as I don't venture much in forums.

Just hit Quote, Insert, then copy and paste the full quote, trimming each section but making sure to have the bracketed syntax at either end unedited.

I can raise my budget a bit even without selling my HD 650's. Now I'm actually super excited what you said. If I get Asus Xonar U3, I have no need to open my PC case at all, correct?

No need, just plug into a USB port. It comes with a pigtail extension in case its chassis blocks other USB plugs next to it. Just make sure to not lose the SPDIF port converter in it and that the DAC you get has an optical SPDIF input.

What if I still bought the mentioned SoundBlaster AE-5 and NFB-11.28, and just to clarify it is this: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm ?

Yes, that's it.

Is my surround experience at a whole new level if I buy AE-5 + NFB 11.28 rather than Xonar U3 + NFB? Though I think it's better I start with Xonar U3 - if I don't like the surround.

Not really, the DSP programs/chips are different but in practice, I haven't really noticed much of a difference between soundcard applications and even native headphone surround on some games. The difference really is that having a soundcard gets you that option for games that do not have it natively, which is still a heck of a lot of games for now, and then between soundcards, it has more to do with the amp circuit. U3 is a basic headphone driver chip, basically the same kind on CDPs that have a built in headphone output but powered by USB (but without the same kind of power supply circuit that something like the E10K has); most other soundcards have decent power and distortion, but due to the high output impedance, can be a problem for low impedance headphones, while not having the same kind of high impedance power delivery as the AE-5, which has a lot of power as well as low output impedance.

The AE-5 is basically a good choice in case your primary and most often use case is gaming. If you also want to guarantee you have a lot of performance - high power, very low distortion and noise (apart from what the computer imparts on the downstream components, if any) - for reference audio critical listening, then the U3 is a cheap way to get virtual surround on all games (and movies, something that I can't make Razer Surround do, and Dolby Headphone native on laptops and motherboards has to be uninstalled or you get screw ups when in the same OS as Razer Surround) so you can spend on a the DAC-HPamp.

Thanks for making clear this PCI-e thing. Silly me, why wouldn't a motherboard that cost 160 euros have extra PCI-e slot..

Uhhh...what do you mean? Did you look inside yet? It has six PCI-E slots, three of them X16 slots, which is pretty good for a motherboard at that price, more so when you consider that mITX boards often cost more and only have a single X16 for a graphics card. You have three for the soundcard on that motherboard, although one will be blocked off by a graphics card's 2-slot air cooler (even if you put a full coverage water block on it you have to saw off the expansion slot bracket to fit the soundcard there), followed by one slot, and then another one below the third X16 slot. Are you using GTX 1080s in SLI and an Optane card? Or even if you were there's still that one slot, although it can partially get in the way of one graphics card, you can just increase the fan curve and lower the overclocks since SLI does a lot more even at 4K than overclocking does.

After your message, I'm now definitely leaning towards getting a soundcard + NFB-11. If the link I provided indeed is the NFB-11 we are talking about, I have to ask maybe a silly question: Is it ready to be used immediately after unboxing or do I need to configure the system, like opening the case and change circuits? Most of the stuff they are explaing on that link mean absolutely nothing to me and only leave me scared, that I need to be some sort of technician to use this product correctly ?

I haven't seen AudioGD manuals but there are parts there that don't need more than a screw driver and tweezers, and that's only if you have to configure it to run an output signal from the rear RCA ports from the default preamp output (it runs through the active preamp, ie, the volume control on the unit, but bypasses the headphone amplifier section's output stage) to the optional direct DAC output (you can't use the volume control on the fixed 2V signal). The former is for using with powered monitors or power amps for speakers that have no preamps built in; the latter is for integrated (speaker) amps that have their own preamp, or a more powerful headphone amp (or if you get electrostatic headphones that need a very high voltage output amplifier).

If you're not going to hook up any speakers other than, say, studio monitors, then no, you don't even need to open the thing. The other configurations on AudioGD products tend to have more to do with the digital filters but you don't really have to tinker with that.

And what does DAC-HPamp mean? I know DAC and AMP but that HP there leaves me confused.

DigitaltoAnalogueConverter-(with built in)HeadPhoneamplifier

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 19
Just hit Quote, Insert, then copy and paste the full quote, trimming each section but making sure to have the bracketed syntax at either end unedited.
Very nice, thank you.

The AE-5 is basically a good choice in case your primary and most often use case is gaming. If you also want to guarantee you have a lot of performance - high power, very low distortion and noise (apart from what the computer imparts on the downstream components, if any) - for reference audio critical listening, then the U3 is a cheap way to get virtual surround on all games (and movies, something that I can't make Razer Surround do, and Dolby Headphone native on laptops and motherboards has to be uninstalled or you get screw ups when in the same OS as Razer Surround) so you can spend on a the DAC-HPamp.

Yes, my primary and most often use case is gaming. From your message I understood that AE-5 is good for me, I get that. But next thing you say is If I want to guarantee a lot of performance, I should buy U3 and DAC-HPamp too? I'm very likely to order AE-5 for 139 euros and then maybe perhaps once it arrives, think a bit and order the NFB.

Uhhh...what do you mean? Did you look inside yet? It has six PCI-E slots, three of them X16 slots, which is pretty good for a motherboard at that price, more so when you consider that mITX boards often cost more and only have a single X16 for a graphics card. You have three for the soundcard on that motherboard, although one will be blocked off by a graphics card's 2-slot air cooler (even if you put a full coverage water block on it you have to saw off the expansion slot bracket to fit the soundcard there), followed by one slot, and then another one below the third X16 slot. Are you using GTX 1080s in SLI and an Optane card? Or even if you were there's still that one slot, although it can partially get in the way of one graphics card, you can just increase the fan curve and lower the overclocks since SLI does a lot more even at 4K than overclocking does.
Sorry, I was unclear. I did open my case and my GPU that is a single GTX 1080 Ti takes 2.5 of the PCI-e slots. I have one smaller PCi-e slot very visible and could connect AE-5 easily.

If you're not going to hook up any speakers other than, say, studio monitors, then no, you don't even need to open the thing.
This is very good to know.

Okay, so today I received my AKG K712 Pro's. I still don't understand how same my headphones still sound on my favourite game that is Rainbow Six Siege. I'm no audiophile any means, all I could notice was sounds were not as flat as on HD 650 and larger soundstage, but nothing breath taking. I connected K712 Pro to my current DacMagic XS and with this thing I can only skyrocket the volume. Audio quality is exactly the same when I connected K712 Pro's to my case 3.5mm headphone jack. Does this mean my DacMagic XS never bypassed my motherboards audio?

If I do order AE-5, will I see notably differences? Well doesn't matter, I'm really tempted to buy AE-5 anyways for the price of 138 €. Atleast it is better than DacMagic XS, right? And then maybe a little later buy as well the NFB-11.28.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 19
Yes, my primary and most often use case is gaming. From your message I understood that AE-5 is good for me, I get that. But next thing you say is If I want to guarantee a lot of performance, I should buy U3 and DAC-HPamp too? I'm very likely to order AE-5 for 139 euros and then maybe perhaps once it arrives, think a bit and order the NFB.

No, I'm saying if you're really just going to be gaming and barely doing any critical listening, you might as well just go with the AE-5.

If you'll do critical music listening with no distractions (ie no browsing, no working, etc), then get the U3 and the NFB-11.

Of course trying the AE-5 first means you can add the NFB-11 later if you feel like you'd spend that much more to get an amp circuit that runs in full Class A, lower distortion, no crossover distortion, lower noise...

Sorry, I was unclear. I did open my case and my GPU that is a single GTX 1080 Ti takes 2.5 of the PCI-e slots. I have one smaller PCi-e slot very visible and could connect AE-5 easily.

Or use the lowest one so you don't obstruct any airflow into the GTX 1080Ti.

Okay, so today I received my AKG K712 Pro's. I still don't understand how same my headphones still sound on my favourite game that is Rainbow Six Siege. I'm no audiophile any means, all I could notice was sounds were not as flat as on HD 650 and larger soundstage, but nothing breath taking.

Well...what exactly were you expecting to be "breath taking" about gaming audio? Gaming SFX and speech are synthesized sounds in MP3 format, which aren't exactly the same as music. One will have basically the same sounds repeated all over, and each MP3 explosion or gunfire will not sound as drastically different as the reverberations of the notes coming out of a guitar or a soprano going up several octaves or the difference in detail when a metal drummer goes on the double pedals where distortion or just plain response variances can change how the notes come in and fade out (ex if the bass is excessive at the low end the initial impact can seem soft but the notes take too long to fade out the double pedals seem slow or muddled). Apart from response differences between headphones and speakers, it would have to be drastically higher levels of distortion and noise to hear any difference in how one explosion or gunfire SFX will sound different from one system to another.

As for imaging, there are two problems. As much as other people will claim they only need a wider imaging headphone and not virtual surround, in my case I'd rather have virtual surround on cheaper headphones than a headphone that does well in imaging but mostly works better for 2ch audio than 2ch gaming audio. One images a soundstage, or at least tries to within a context of each ear hearing only one driver (one of the things that Crossfeed for 2ch audio and Virtual Surround for multicahnnel audio addresses), the other is supposed to have enveloping sound but in 2ch mode right off the bat, it can barely do that (note that even with VS it won't make for very clear reproduction for sounds behind you)

The other problem though might be the same with 2ch - imaging is usually the last thing that people realize is important (or that it even is a thing), and in your application, can be worsened by the fact that you're getting practically zero positioning cues off native 2ch gaming audio (that no virtual surround can fix, hence why the game needs to be set to 5.1 if your'e using a soundcard for VS).

Overall this is kind of a bigger problem. It's hard to tell if virtual surround will be perceptible for you,but on the other hand if you're not even using it given 2ch gaming audio barely has any positional cues, then that's a problem.

Although there are two ways to test that. First, check your games and look for one that might have a specific "Headphone" audio mode other than plain "Stereo." Try them both. Second is to listen to a properly recorded piano or drum track. If you can hear enough of a difference in how much wider if also deeper the AKG does, then likely you'll benefit from a soundcard that does virtual surround.

I connected K712 Pro to my current DacMagic XS and with this thing I can only skyrocket the volume. Audio quality is exactly the same when I connected K712 Pro's to my case 3.5mm headphone jack. Does this mean my DacMagic XS never bypassed my motherboards audio?

OK...first off...it has to have bypassed your motherboard audio, because if it can't then how is it connected? If it was connected via analogue connection then sure, the motherboard's DAC is working. But if you connected it via USB then it bypasses the motherboard's DAC since the DAC doesn't output via USB nor can your Digital to Analogue Converter accept an analogue output from the motherboard's DAC. Any sound shaping software can't be bypassed unless you disabled them but I don't think these are at play here.

As for why that is, it's simply because the performance of the DAC Magic XS and the motherboard aren't that far off. Now as to whether that's because Asus put a fairly decent audio section in there save for not having a good DSP or because the DACMagic sucks, the first is more likely. However I can't dismiss the possibility that the latter is also possible because I'm not exactly a fan of Cambridge Audio stuff. I got to try the DACMagic and it was pretty lethargic on my HD600, and then I tried their CDPs with my headphone amp and headphones, and they were imaging the percussion in front of the vocals.

Alternately, it's not impossible either that both the motherboard and the XS are boosting the low end (likely due to a high enough output impedance), or that you're not listening at a loud enough level to push the XS to distort, while the motherboard outright runs out of power but because it just doesn't have enough gain, it doesn't get loud enough that you can hear obvious clipping of the signal (ex like how hard bass hits can sound more like a thwack!!! instead of a THUD!!!).

Another factor there again is the listener, and also the material. You've only tested it so far on MP3 sound effects. The material to begin with lacks the more subtle nuances that can differentiate one reproduction of notes from another that are harder to hear in explosions and gunfire and such, or the differences are minute enough to be undetectable to you (though they might be for others, but more likely with music than with SFX).

If I do order AE-5, will I see notably differences? Well doesn't matter, I'm really tempted to buy AE-5 anyways for the price of 138 €. Atleast it is better than DacMagic XS, right? And then maybe a little later buy as well the NFB-11.28.

Hard to tell but again, it's hard to tell whether most are just imperceptible to you, or whether it's because 2ch program on games aren't really going to make much of a difference between systems given that barely has positional cues and how explosions aren't going to noticeably vary the way music notes would, not to mention your attention span on gaming is split between the audio, your objectives, fragging, and not getting fragged, plus the visuals on the monitor, whereas normally even those who listen with some distractions like web browsing would still deal with lot fewer things while listening to music.

Still, if your goal is positional audio, then a good headphone for that running with virtual surround is still the best it can get barring setting up 5.1 speakers.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 19
No, I'm saying if you're really just going to be gaming and barely doing any critical listening, you might as well just go with the AE-5.
I think I'll go with AE-5 now. For years, I thought I have been doing critical listening but if that really means no distractions, all I've ever done is background / casual listening lol. Not that I don't appreciate good music, I just prefer doing something at the same time while listening.

Or use the lowest one so you don't obstruct any airflow into the GTX 1080Ti.
Good catch. I think on the lowest one I have motherboard audio connection but I do remove that connection from that particular PCi-e slot if I have understood correctly when I install AE-5.

Gaming SFX and speech are synthesized sounds in MP3 format, which aren't exactly the same as music.
Ah, this clears it up. I am expecting the same performance from game SFX as from music and that is indeed a wrong perspective.

you're getting practically zero positioning cues off native 2ch gaming audio (that no virtual surround can fix, hence why the game needs to be set to 5.1 if your'e using a soundcard for VS).
Lets assume I have the AE-5 right now. When I play games, I set audio from in-game options as Surround Headphones, surround 5.1 or something like that? Most of my games I have Headphones as audio selected and on something like Battlefield I prefer War Tapes or when I played Call of Duty, I prefered Supercrunch and both of these modes make the sounds even louder.

Second is to listen to a properly recorded piano or drum track.
Any recommendations or is here at head-fi some thread where I could find? I mainly listen personally mainsteam music and EDM, hard style what not electronic music.

As for why that is, it's simply because the performance of the DAC Magic XS and the motherboard aren't that far off.
Damn. Wish I knew that 3 months ago. Well, they are advertising DacMagic XS as something that is great to use with a laptop to increase quality..

You've only tested it so far on MP3 sound effects.
To test my headphones, I need to do what kind of things exactly? I can see now sound effects and sound SFX are not the same thing as music, cannot be as good quality. I have watched movies on Netflix with my DacMagic and hardly noticed a difference but that must be because what I quoted you said above.

Still, if your goal is positional audio, then a good headphone for that running with virtual surround is still the best it can get barring setting up 5.1 speakers.
Thank you for this and for all the help! I will be ordering AE-5 and if I'm not satisfied still, I'll be ordering NFX 11.28 and then I will have some more, new questions.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 19
I think I'll go with AE-5 now. For years, I thought I have been doing critical listening but if that really means no distractions, all I've ever done is background / casual listening lol. Not that I don't appreciate good music, I just prefer doing something at the same time while listening.

Most of my listening is distracted on weeknights but if I'm not in a cookout with my friends I'm usually going to spend the evenings with my feet up. Evenings so lower ambient noise from outside, plus I use a smartphone as a digital music server so there won't even be any cooling fans. My PC is fairly silent that I've once left it downloading updates on Steam and Windows for a whole week, and only noticed it at some point when I left the door open and walked past it at night and saw the light on the fans, but if I'm sitting right there with open back headphones the fans are audible. Not annoying, but if I can make it out, it's definitely a problem. Even when you can't make out distinct noise sources chances are the average noise floor is still over 30dB.

Good catch. I think on the lowest one I have motherboard audio connection but I do remove that connection from that particular PCi-e slot if I have understood correctly when I install AE-5.

Ummm...what audio connection? The motherboard audio connection are all on the I/O panel behind the processor. It doesn't look like the Prime motherboard also has the audio daughterboard that goes into a tiny slot like on the miniITX Maximus boards.

Do you mean the front panel I/O? If that's what you're referring to check the AE-5 - maybe it has its own front panel I/O connectors so it works out the front panel instead of reaching over to the back to hook up the headphones.

Lets assume I have the AE-5 right now. When I play games, I set audio from in-game options as Surround Headphones, surround 5.1 or something like that?

No. Set the games to 5.1 speaker, then go into the soundcard DSP suite and make sure it has Virtual Surround, Dolby Headphone, or whatever each soundcard manufacturer calls it.

The soundcard will take the 5.1 signal from the game and have it go through 2channels in such a way that instead of getting only hard pan left, center, and hard pan right, you get variable amounts of audio filtered across both channels to make for more precise directionality, along with some reverb to make it all sound farther from you.

Most of my games I have Headphones as audio selected...

If your games have an audio mode that specifically labelled as "Headphone" then you already have virtual surround, at least on those games. The question is whether it will be worth it to you to spend on the AE-5 to get virtual surround on your other games. Note that this is good for FPS and 3rd person perspective action games, but not strategy games for example except for Total War where sound is relative to the camera position to simulate how it sounds to a commander (and you can lock the cam to hover over your commander's unit for more realism, and just use the freemoving cam to issue orders).

Since you already have virtual surround on those (which is why I've been saying check your games first) then you're mostly paying for the amp circuit on the AE-5. If you think it's important to get virtual surround on your games that don't have a dedicated Headphone mode then go ahead; otherwise you might as well jsut use the built in virtual surround programs and make do with the DACMagic XS and get a really good DAC-HPamp. USB output from the motherboard can pass along surround headphone audio as long as it's in software, ie, native headphone mode in games.

...and on something like Battlefield I prefer War Tapes or when I played Call of Duty, I prefered Supercrunch and both of these modes make the sounds even louder.

I don't know about those but those seem like they're just for tonal balance, like Asus soundcards that reduce all other SFX while making footsteps louder a little bit.

Any recommendations or is here at head-fi some thread where I could find? I mainly listen personally mainsteam music and EDM, hard style what not electronic music.

If you have Spotify even the piano tracks there can be enough. Otherwise audiophile recordings are available from sites like HDTracks.com but you have to pay for those per album.

Damn. Wish I knew that 3 months ago. Well, they are advertising DacMagic XS as something that is great to use with a laptop to increase quality..

Well most laptops can't drive harder to drive headphones, so the XS would be markedly better than those. Probably. Although your motherboard's audio is probably good enough. They've gotten better since around Z97.

To test my headphones, I need to do what kind of things exactly? I can see now sound effects and sound SFX are not the same thing as music, cannot be as good quality.

It's not simply that they're not as good quality, but if you were critically listening with no distractions to 256kbps music vs trying to frag with 256kbps SFX, it's easier to hear how in one system the bass drum is less audible or the notes meld into each other more while being too loud compared to how that explosion sounds more rad through another headphone with different things going on in the background if you're not comparing the exact same part of a single player game. At best you'd have to go into the sound files and play it there to check for tonality.

As for imaging you can't avoid having to use in-game audio since the game programs positional cues depending on where your in game camera is relative to the source of the sound. It sounds different if it was in front to your left/right and is positioned differently vs if it was behind you, even if the game will use the same basic MP3 SFX file.

Basically, if just for imaging, easiest to use piano and drum audiophile recordings which are made specifically to test soundstage without any other sounds getting in the way. Other soundstage tests have one guy walking around a microphone. Or just listen to music. That said, EDM has too much in common with game SFX considering most of them are synthesized out of a computer, unlike, say, House (somehow people stopped calling it that around 2011) where you have Late Night Alumni for example going with keyboards (technically a synth and sound coming out of the amps don't have the positional differences of the hammers in a grand piano, but tonally there's a bit more variables than computer synthesized tones) and human vocals that actually sing instead of just delivering some one liners to get snarky about what I just wrote here will have more variables that will make for how you can enjoy the music, like if you don't have enough treble you can barely hear her, treble spikes will make the voice grating, but well extended treble makes for a soothing vocal performance, etc.

Thank you for this and for all the help! I will be ordering AE-5 and if I'm not satisfied still, I'll be ordering NFX 11.28 and then I will have some more, new questions.

Just note you already have virtual surround on some of your games, although you could set them to 5.1 speaker and run virtual surround out of the AE-5 and maybe you might notice some improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back