Which way do you swing?
Nov 16, 2001 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
Just curious, not trying to start any wars, I know we're a lot of solid state users, I'm just curious how much...the intention is current state of affairs, not what you've owned in the past.

May 9, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 6
I’m a tube guy but I have to admit that I really like op amp based non tube amps.

I also have a hybrid amp that uses a tube and op amps and that’s good too.

I’m also impressed with FET designed circuits too and they can sound warm and vintage sounding too.

In recording studios tubes are popular but FET designs are also popular too. It’s like making a good cocktail. You can mix and match for the right results.

May 9, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Tubes. I’ve never gone back. Might want to change that thread title.

May 12, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 6
I run my tube guitar amp into my solid state genelecs (through a UA Ox) for bedroom playing, so best of both worlds lol.
Nothing beats tube distortion for guitar tones. Never owned a tube hifi amp though and don't really want to colour my signal so much. Please don't flame me!

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Pass SS Class A. No bass discontinuity from mids. No retubing. No soft treble.

Pass - very analog sounding, timbre, depth, coherence.

Jun 19, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 6
They all have their own strengths.

The other night I was watching a movie with a tube amp. Sounded amazing. But with another movie, it was somewhat lacking and my solid state amp was more preferred.

For practical reasons, a hand wired tube amp with no circuit board is easier to repair or service if you decide to keep it for life. The absence of a circuit board makes an amp more indestructible. In that regard, a vintage style wired tube amp is superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back