Which wastes more battery?
Nov 18, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkoman
320kb/s AAC w/ eq on or apple lossless w/ no eq?(This for ipod)

Thanks

It would make the most sense if anything with thw EQ on just drains them batteries...

Lossless is only about 2 to 3 times that bitrate.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the reply. I know that eq will eatup extra current, but file size of lossless is about twice as big as 320kb/s so the harddrive has to spin up more frequently.

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Both more than 224 kbps. I see the argument for lossless (and use it myself), but I don't quite get the compromise-for-size go lossy ... then max it out! mindset.

You'll get an extra couple hours approximately with 224 and below over 320 and ~3-4 extra on 320 over lossless. EQ not taken into account. That's all depends on iPod model though. MP3 should in theory give a gain also with lower CPU cycles over AAC, but never tested.

Nov 19, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 11
The bigger the file size is, the less memory space to spare for buffering songs, so the HDD needs to spins more often. All these problems are because, the lack of ram in Mp3 players. Bring me the future, I want it now!
mad.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Some say that AIFF/WAV is more battery life friendly than lossless because it requires less CPU cycle to decode it. Yet, uncompressed files are HUGE, and the hardrive will have spin almost every five minutes. ???

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 11
why would eq eat battery? It's just an extra piece of software running on a chip that is already in use. Unless it requires another peripheral or the DSP is capable of dynamicaly controlling it's clock rate.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
why would eq eat battery? It's just an extra piece of software running on a chip that is already in use. Unless it requires another peripheral or the DSP is capable of dynamicaly controlling it's clock rate.

The power consumption of an IC is affected by activity as well as clock rate (and voltage, and a host of other factors). The more you've got going on inside, the more power it consumes.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rstokes
The power consumption of an IC is affected by activity as well as clock rate (and voltage, and a host of other factors). The more you've got going on inside, the more power it consumes.

Especially with the variable-speed chips used on current iPods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back