Which Wal-Mart speaker setup?
Jan 25, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 25
i could think of many things i can spend $250 on and get good sound.

i could buy one of those nice used bookshelves, or athena bs1, or those cheapo insignia speakers. if i need bass i can get the tower speakers celestion f30 for $100 before shipping. for amp I can find simple amp like audio source for $100 for 100watt and good sounding, or those upgraded T-Amp if i want something small.

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #17 of 25
If your lust for a Wal-Mart HTIB can't be satiated, IMO the only one worth recommending is the Pioneer HTP-2700. Is it great? No, but it's better than any of the other ones they have on display. Plus, the receiver itself isn't too shabby. It's the rough equivalent of a Pioneer VSX-516 (possibly with a few less inputs).

Otherwise, the refurbished Onkyo HTIBs from the Club Onkyo website seem to be highly recommended at the same price point.

Edit: Or, Wal-Mart has the HTP-2800 for even less than the 2700.

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 25
Here's another vote for solid two channels over bad surround sound.

I would also consider finding a decent audio shop and look for used speakers you can demo at home before committing to.

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 25
Ok. Sorry for the delayed responce, I just used my speaker setup on the weekend and since then I have been summing up my options.

So let's say I go with 2 front main speakers + subwoofer + receiver, how much am I looking at for a decent budget setup for both movies and music?

I don't mind buying second hand but I would need to know what to look for, I don't know model numbers or anything. BTW those cheap $29 speakers that sold at bestbuy recently, are those something I should look at? I wouldn't mind finding a deal like that.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #20 of 25
I'd say $500 is a reasonable amount. I spent around that for my two-channel setup (with universal source) buying everything but the cables used and at extreme discount. Think of it this way:

Front speakers - $250
Receiver/integrated amplifier - $150
Interconnect cable(s) - $0 - $50 depending on what you still need
Speaker cable - $15
Subwoofer - extra

With some scouting, you could probably assemble a mid-fi system for those prices. You could also substitute cheaper components. But, as you may know, the deal for the Insignia speakers is over. Their lowest price was $35 + tax and they're currently $79.99 + tax.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #21 of 25
Go to Circuitcity.com, select Home Theater systems, then choose Onkyo as the brand. I get 5 results. I wouldn't bother with the cheapest one, but the other four are going to be very solid systems. Thats what I would recommend. Which in particular just depends on how much you could budget for.

Guys at the AVS forum seem to really agree, too. Theres alot of bang for the buck in these systems... which is unusual for HTiaB sets.

I went this way about 4 years ago, and since I've upgraded the speakers, added various sources, but that reciever is still going strong, and has plenty of power. I'm also still using the Onkyo powered sub, I don't need anything more in that department. To be honest, the speakers were good enough, I just happened upon a screaming deal I couldn't resist, so I moved up.

You can also go to Onkyo.com and try to buy a refurbished set cheaper. They go in and out of stock frequently, so you might have to keep watching awhile.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to Circuitcity.com, select Home Theater systems, then choose Onkyo as the brand.

Thanks I had a look at those, I guess I will have to go listen to them. I noticed the only THX certified one was the last and most expensive one at $800, I wonder why the other ones aren't, this concerns me a little as even my $100 computer speakers are THX.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the only THX certified one was the last and most expensive one at $800, I wonder why the other ones aren't, this concerns me a little as even my $100 computer speakers are THX.

THX certification doesn't mean the same as it once did.

There are different THX requirements for the various levels. I think there is a multimedia category which is for speakers that will be used less than 3 feet from the listener, this THX logo is what your $100 speakers have I believe.

Higher regarded THX requirements include the Certified, Select,Select 2, Ultra & Ultra 2. They basically mean that as you go up in classification, the speakers, amps, etc. will be adequate for larger rooms. There are specs that must be met for this, although there are many highly respected high-end names that don't carry any THX logo.

Don't worry if the gear you look at and listen to has a THX logo. In the end what matters is what sounds best to you.

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #24 of 25
Forget about THX, is my humble opinion.

Listening to the Onkyo stuff, or any others, in CircuitCity isn't a very good indicator of how it'll sound at home... but the Onkyo stuff is the best of what CC offers... in overall terms of power, features, and sound.

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THX certification doesn't mean the same as it once did.

Ok, that's what I pretty much thought. I won't go out of my way to look for it, at least not until I have more to spend
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to the Onkyo stuff, or any others, in CircuitCity isn't a very good indicator of how it'll sound at home... but the Onkyo stuff is the best of what CC offers... in overall terms of power, features, and sound.

Thanks yeah, I am going to check them out in a couple of days and see if the Onkyo does it for me.
My backup plan is to pick up separates and go with a 2.1 setup, links to what I have picked out:

Pioneer 3-way Bookshelf Speaker
MTX 12" Subwoofer
Sony Surround Sound Receiver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back