Which Wacom tablet for simple Photoshopping?
Nov 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Hmm, the Intuos 3 is NZD450 and the the Bamboo is NZD150 amd the Fun is NZD199. So....the Intuos 3 is a pretty big step up? What are the relevant differences? I can get the Fun at 6X9 (bigger than the 3).

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, the Intuos 3 is NZD450 and the the Bamboo is NZD150 amd the Fun is NZD199. So....the Intuos 3 is a pretty big step up? What are the relevant differences? I can get the Fun at 6X9 (bigger than the 3).

More levels of pressure sensitivity and higher resolution digitizer. It will be more precise and responsive. I personally like more solid feel of the Intuos tablet as well. I haven't played with the Bamboo series much, but if it's anything like the Grapphire series, the tablet was not nearly as soild as the build quality of the Intuos.

It's a personal preference thing, it's really best to try it yourself. I think some Apple stores might have some on display that you could play with.

Otherwise, it's difficult to find anywhere where you can try before you buy.

-Ed

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Try asking universities if they have surplus or older models. I purchased both my Wacoms (older models) from a digital arts professor for about $20 each.

Buy the Intuos if you need the extra precision and sensitivity, but the Bamboo is much cheaper and isn't lacking in performance in any way. If it's for non-commercial use, I definitely would suggest the Bamboo.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't believe they make Graphires anymore, but I've got one and use it a lot for drawing, photo editing etc. Intuos is only reasonable if you want to get ultra serious with drawing, I think the price premium is just too huge. Get a reasonable size compared with your monitor though. You don't want to be stuck with a tiny A6 Bamboo on a 20". The resolution of the tablet will be fine but it just gets very close to precision surgery to hit buttons and such. A5 is so much more comfortable.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm a recreational drawer (no commissions, etc) so here's my take:

If I were you, I'd jump for Intuos 3. I had the 9x12" model and I loved it for starters. Also imo it's a lot better if you have a dedicated space for the tablet (not on your lap) because they are rather sensitive to pen tilts and pressure imo.

Though now I'm using the Cintiq 20WSX. It's a lot easier to use and works great too :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back