Which volume control to use?
Aug 8, 2005 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

injinuiti

New Head-Fier
Ok, I'm not exactly sure which volume control I should "max" out if at all. I have a m-audio revolution 7.1 and a gilmore lite. Should I max out the volume for the revo and then adjust the gilmore lite to suitable listening levels? I have been using it at half volume on the revo and about half on my gilmore lite on my Senn HD650's.

edit
I just maxed out volume on the revolution with the gilmore at about 25% and it sounds to me a bit more "colorful" as in everything comes out better.

Aug 8, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd say your best bet is to go with what you like the best. Just tinker around, find the setting you like and go with it. There's probably methods that give you the "truest" sound or something for all I know, but the best advice is to pick what you enjoy.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

I just maxed out volume on the revolution with the gilmore at about 25% and it sounds to me a bit more "colorful" as in everything comes out better.

Sounds like you could be driving the revolutions op-amp(s) into distortion. Try running a loopback test using Rightmark Audio Analyzer with the revolution at full volume and also at half volume and see if there is any difference.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 5
set the soundcard to the highest usable voltage, prefereably maxed out. Then use the volume adjustment on the gilmore. Digital volume controls can effect resolution (effective word length) and it's also usually a good idea to pump as large a signal as possible down an interconnect for noise issues.

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tschanrm
Sounds like you could be driving the revolutions op-amp(s) into distortion. Try running a loopback test using Rightmark Audio Analyzer with the revolution at full volume and also at half volume and see if there is any difference.

Just tried it out. With volume at full volume, the graph shows more extreme high and low points, in other words less of a straight line. With volume decreasing toward mute, the graph shows that it is going toward a straight horizontal line. Don't exaclty know what that means...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
set the soundcard to the highest usable voltage, prefereably maxed out. Then use the volume adjustment on the gilmore. Digital volume controls can effect resolution (effective word length) and it's also usually a good idea to pump as large a signal as possible down an interconnect for noise issues.

Sounds feasible to me! For now my ears like it at full volume and gilmore control
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back