Which version of Nessun Dorma?
May 12, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is probably the most widely recommended CD version of Turandot, features a younger Pavarotti @1980 with an allstar cast and great sound.

x3 on the Mehta - simply superb, as is Caballe...

May 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #17 of 24
I can't believe that anything has surpassed the Nilsson, Corelli, Scotto recording. Pavarotti's basically lyric voice is quite light for the role, and Nilsson was in her absolute prime at the time of her recording.

Also of interest is the historical, earlier recording with a young Birgit Nilsson, Jussi Bjorling, and Renata Tebaldi. Again, Bjorling has more thrust in the upper voice that Pavarotti is is closer to a spinto tenor.

These are just some thoughts from a life-long opera buff!

May 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW I was not complaining about Paul Potts who sounds divine compared to the painful noise generated by Greg Pritchard........check that link out above from UK's got Talent show, Simon says Pritchard sounds like a dog that meows like a cat then gives him a pass
confused_face_2.gif

Sounds to me like a "chipmunk's" version of Nessun Dorma

Okay, that peaked my curiousity, I had to look that one up. You know, I actually think that was much more interesting than Paul Potts. Good sopranists (male sopranos) are a very rare breed. I'm not saying he's there yet (far from it), but with a few years of solid conservatory training....

Of course, there's a lot of people who hate countertenors, so sopranists might be even more of an acquired taste. Chacun son gout.

On topic: I have to put in a recommendation for one of my favourite opera recordings of all time, Karajan's Turandot on Deutsche Grammophon. Superlative conducting, Domingo in excellent form as Calaf, Katia Ricciarelli singing a role she can't actually sing as Turandot (but with Karajan's backing she succeeds brilliantly against all odds) and particularly Barbara Hendricks as Liu, who makes you realise that Liu is much much more than some anonymous little wall flower. One disadvantage: the recording is really showing it's early digital faults.

May 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #19 of 24
well, the russian countertenor vitas was very popular last year in the interwebz.
if it sounds good or interesting, it's good. I thought Greg Pritchard sounded absolutely horrid. If he can be good one day, good for him.

May 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by patates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the russian countertenor vitas was very popular last year in the interwebz.
if it sounds good or interesting, it's good. I thought Greg Pritchard sounded absolutely horrid. If he can be good one day, good for him.

Well, I wouldn't want to listen to him for any length of time at the moment either. But I thought he at least had the potential to be interesting, which is a feeling I don't get with Paul Potts.

May 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by patates /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He wasn´t singing in his natural tone or whatever it´s called. Or I misunderstood what he said. It sounds like crap of course but it´s still impressive he gets it up there
smily_headphones1.gif

Watched the youtube videos my vote goes to Bjorling. May be just the recording but the other seem to compete in the loudness wars really not smooth at all. Bjorling is definiatly the smoothest and most impressive of them based on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back