Which version of Etymotic ER-4P is best?
Mar 24, 2006 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Deadfan

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm trying to buy another set of Etymotic ER-4P canal phones since I lost mine. I already have 4P to 4S cables and a pocket amp.

I recall folks talking about later versions that may have had better design features (braided cord? less noise when you touch the wire?).

I'm looking at a used pair but only want to buy the better version.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Mike

PS I bought Shure E2C in the interim and, while they sound OK, they're really hard to install and they feel huge in my ear.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 3
My ER4P came with the "improved" braided cord. I haven't tried the "nonimproved" version, so I can't really improved how they are improved. I think all ER4s now come "improved". The newest ones have even dropped the red and blue colour scheme and gone for an all-black, sleeker shape.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Apparently the new (actually not so new) cables reduce microphonics. They still are quite microphonic so the old cables must have picked up sound in the slightest wind.

I doubt they've changed the sound of the newer all black ones, but there was a whole thread about the change with the designer of the ER-4 chiming in. If I remember correctly the cable is the same braided one and the change was made to save costs in manufacture. Apparently having three colors of plastic made the process quite a bit more expensive than having just one color. I'm pretty sure they haven't cut costs in a way that lowers the sound quality in any way though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back