Which USB sound card to replace M-Audio Audiophile (Mac)?
Dec 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
I have some problems with my M-Audio Audiophile USB soundcard and the retailer is letting me replace it with another. The new one should be around the same price or if it is a bit more expensive, I could pay the difference. I'll be using it on a MacBook Pro (early 2008). The main use is 2-channel music playback with headphones or my active Genelec speakers. The shop is ATM only selling M-Audio, E-mu, Digidesign and Presonus so the choice is between them.

Which model would you recommend? E-mu 0404?

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Many views and no opinions. I assume the question is too difficult or too common/boring.

The retailer in question has the following cards available around the same price or within my price difference paying tolerance:

Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini

M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio FastTrack Pro

- M-Audio is probably not my primary choice due to the bad previous experience and M-Audio's driver release policy

Presonus Inspire 1394
Presonus Firebox

E-Mu 0404 USB 2.0
E-Mu Tracker Pre USB 2.0

Any particular one of these to prioritize or to avoid - especially using a Mac?

EDIT: Some of these are Firewire models and due to practical reasons I'll probably end up with a USB model

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 7
The E-Mu 0404 USB is a great-sounding, very compatible unit. I've happily used one on my iMac for a while now, and throughout many changes in system I've not found anything that bests it at the price, so it's staying around.

Plus, if you get it right now, you can get the white version, which I happen to think it pretty good-looking.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks. It really seems to be a choice between E-Mu 0404 and Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini in my case.

I just noticed the Mbox is USB powered! I wonder if the USB in my MacBook Pro has enough juice or if I should use a powered hub. One more reason to take the 0404. However, I'm a bit worried about the difficulties with the digital output.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 7
I wouldn't be worried about digital output difficulties. I got that solved no problem, and the solution is documented on here.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the mac bok pro already has digital output?

Yes, I think that's true but I'm a bit reluctant to buy a product that's problematic with other computers. But, after all I guess I'll grab a 0404 tomorrow as a reasonable compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back