Which USB DAC option is best for audio from a PC?
Mar 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #16 of 45

Quote:
Right, reading your comments, it has come to light the fact that I was largely ignorant about some of the basics.  It then prompted me to research further.  I didn't realise that active speakers do the amplification themselves, and didn't realise that you could bypass a dedicated amp unit by doing this, and go straight from a DAC to active speakers.

My two questions are:

1.  Can you go straight from the DAC to active speakers with just about any DAC, or only ones (such as the Benchmark) that have a pre-amp.  How common are DACs with built-in preamps?

2.  Is it theoretically a good move to have the active speakers to the job of amplification rather than a separate unit?  Do the active speakers do a better job at it, in terms of audio quality or isolation or whatever?

Thanks.

1. Yes. DACs with built-in preamps are a dime a dozen. Quality built ones not so much.

2. Depends, it's kind of like the studio monitors vs. audiophile speakers debate. There are really good audiophile speakers and there are really bad monitors, neither work by magical properties that because of a name will sound more accurate. Same with active speakers, some active speakers have really good built-in amps and are designed to work really well with them and thus would trump other external amps with bad synergy, other ones not so much. You gotta do your due diligence in buying anything with your budget. If you do, external amps, active speakers won't matter because it'll sound great, because you've done your research and bothered to audition the equipment beforehand.

If you're still taking recommendations for speakers, Dynaudio BM-37s (I think that's the name), for under $2000, they're the most resolving I've ever heard but they require a decent size room (not too large) to work their full potential.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #18 of 45

Quote:
No, the $3,300 would be for the speakers+amp.

I want DA conversion and amplification to be done by separate units.

In that case, get the Focal Solo6 BE. Still a world class pair of monitors. For 1100, you can try looking for someone having a Ayre QB-9 on firesale. But more realistically, a W4S Dac2, Calyx DAC or Anedio D2 should be within your budget and all three are great example of the ESS 9018 done well.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #19 of 45
I would recommend the new Cambridge DACMagic Plus. My laptop has some power issues and so i ofter hear clicks and pops when using a USB DAC. Also if power supply is connected to the laptop, it creates a humming sound which can be heard if the volume is maxed out. I have tried lots of DACs and the only DAC which fixes both the issues is the DACMagic Plus. Also the headphone out is very good and i actually prefer it over my Matrix M-stage. Only problem is the odd volume control which doesnt have any level markings and can be turned to infinity both ways.  

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

1.  Can you go straight from the DAC to active speakers with just about any DAC, or only ones (such as the Benchmark) that have a pre-amp.  How common are DACs with built-in preamps?

Yes. I think so anyway. I don't know all the products on the market but all the ones I do know you can. You do, of course, have to consider where in the chain you want to control gain. A pre-amp (preferably digital) function on the DAC may be convenient bit not essential. You could use the speakers themselves, a dedicated monitor controller, a mixer, the source whatever.

Quote:

2.  Is it theoretically a good move to have the active speakers to the job of amplification rather than a separate unit?  Do the active speakers do a better job at it, in terms of audio quality or isolation or whatever?

Seems to be. The pro audio guys have been doing it for ages and nowadays even the hi-fi grade manufacturers have joined the club even though it means they only get to sell 1 box instead of 2. The theory is sound. Matching amps to speakers by design. Even quite inexpensive models now have active crossovers and an amp for every individual speaker. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #22 of 45
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in the Benchmark.  As for your question of where I intend to control the volume, can I first ask if it will cause a difference to audio quality?  On the computer itself is where I would usually do it, so if doing this won't damage audio quality, then I'm not too bothered about a remote control for the DAC.  The reason I ask if there is a difference is because I was wondering if it is better for the PC output volume to be high, and the DAC volume to be low, or the other way round?  Or does it not matter?  And is there a difference if I change the volume on the media player or change it on the PC's output itself?

Also, one thing I didn't mention, the room where I will be putting these is 4x7 metres, with the gear set up along one of the shorter walls, pointing inwards obviously.  Seeing as audio fidelity is more important to me than playing music loudly, Will the Focal Twin6 Be be suitable for this sized room in terms of the power it has.  I don't know much about wattage but I think the Twin6 can definitely go way beyond what I will need it for.  Does this matter?  I mean, will it play on low volumes just as well as a pair of speakers of lower wattage?

Thanks for your comments.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #24 of 45

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in the Benchmark.  As for your question of where I intend to control the volume, can I first ask if it will cause a difference to audio quality?  On the computer itself is where I would usually do it, so if doing this won't damage audio quality, then I'm not too bothered about a remote control for the DAC.  The reason I ask if there is a difference is because I was wondering if it is better for the PC output volume to be high, and the DAC volume to be low, or the other way round?  Or does it not matter?  And is there a difference if I change the volume on the media player or change it on the PC's output itself?

Also, one thing I didn't mention, the room where I will be putting these is 4x7 metres, with the gear set up along one of the shorter walls, pointing inwards obviously.  Seeing as audio fidelity is more important to me than playing music loudly, Will the Focal Twin6 Be be suitable for this sized room in terms of the power it has.  I don't know much about wattage but I think the Twin6 can definitely go way beyond what I will need it for.  Does this matter?  I mean, will it play on low volumes just as well as a pair of speakers of lower wattage?

Thanks for your comments.

Audio quality? Not really. There's a setting switch in the back where you can put it as "calibrated" for constant volume from the DAC and bypass the volume knob or to "variable" in which you can use the knob. Supposely, analogue volume control is better because digital controls only have full dynamic range at full volume at least that's what Benchmark says. I doubt there's anything difference. If you assume that's true you'd be better off setting to PC to full volume always and use the variable volume knob to control the volume of the whole set up.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
Just had a look a that video that was posted above with the guy frolm Meridian.  It was final nail in the coffin of a separate amp unit.  Active speakers it is!

In terms of technological advantages, it really is a no-brainer.  Take it from the pros, an active design really is better.  Passive speakers belong to the era when there were no electronics and transistors.  In the words of Bob Stuart, it is a "very primitive" way of reproducing sound.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #26 of 45
if there is a choice of having a combo, being dac with pre amp function, or stand alone dac and separate pre amp i would choose the latter. 

for future upgrade and sound quality wise separates beat any combo

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #28 of 45

As for your question of where I intend to control the volume...

Proper gain staging dictates that volume should be controlled by the last component in the chain. This is not the case with the your intended usage of the Twin6 Be as they are meant to be used in conjunction with a mixer. There are only two input sensitivity selections available with the Twin6 Be, which means that volume must be controlled via the computer, or by way of a DAC with preamp functionality. As you really only have two choices to control volume at this point, either one will do. 

Will the Focal Twin6 Be be suitable for this sized room [4x7 metres] in terms of the power it has. 

Absolutely.

...will it play on low volumes just as well as a pair of speakers of lower wattage?

Absolutely.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #29 of 45
Thanks foir the latest info.  Based on your usufel info, I'm currenty leaning towards a DAC1 USB and Twin6/Solo6 Be setup.  A few monre minor questions...

Stands.  I realise that it's important to isolate the vibrations of speaker, and that stands are these to faciliatate this. Which stands would be best for the Twin6/Solo6?

What about cables.  I assume I will get an USB cable with the DAC1.  Is this sufficient, or ane these better ones in terms of shielding ect?  And then there's the coaxial cables from DAC to speakers.  Which ones would be best for the aforementioned equipement?  If buying really expensive cables a bit of a false economy?

Media player - does it matter which audio player I use on the PC, as long as I'm playing FLAC?  I also intend to play CDs from the PC's CD drive.  Are these any media player more suited for this?

One of the major seiling points of the Focal speakers if the fact that the sound they produce is neutral, and not coloured in any way.  But I don't know if this will make it too sterile and cold.  If I realise that this is so, is there a way I can opt for a warmer sound on demand, either by a setting on the DAC or the speakers, or should I do this on the PC?  Will the sonud suffer if I do this on the PC, rather than having a proper electronic solution to do it?

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #30 of 45
Before you plonk your money down on the DAC1 please take a few moments to have a quick look at what you could get for more or less the same money.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ucx.php

I know what you are going to say. Surely I cannot get all that for the same price as a simple 2 Out USB only DAC/HeadAmp. The benchmark must have spent all the money on converter quality only. Surely is must 'sound' better?

Except it doesn't. Really. RME is pro quality. You have almost certainly bought music made and recorded on one at some stage. Why buy a converter that is better than the device used to make the recording in the first place. Which it isn't, better that is but you get the point.

You are also going to think you don't need the clutter of the extra facilities. You'll just have to trust me on this. You will. I did anyway. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities.Solves you 'are the Focals too dry' dilemna at a stroke for a start.

Quote:
The effects per channel include 3-band parametric EQ, adjustable Low Cut, Auto Level, Compressor, Expander, MS Processing and phase reversal. The Reverb and Echo effects unit is available for all channels by way of a stereo send and return bus.

If you don't like the sound - change it - you probably won't that much - but you can if you want.

Have a look and give it a think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back