Which USB amp/DAC for use with DT880 for $300?
May 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bigjp

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I just picked up a pair of DT880's on ebay and want an amp/DAC to go with them. I'm going to use them with my computer, so want USB connection. I'd like to keep it under $300. I've been searching around the forum, but there are just too many choices to sift through.

So if you guys could throw out some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

I listen to a lot of alternative music that is on the softer side, acoustic stuff, good with female voices is a plus, and I try to find stuff that is well recorded. I'm not a base head, but I like it clean and tight. Mids and highs are higher up on the list than base. I like a clean, detailed sound, but not too sterile....some warmth is appreciated. However, detail is more important. I hope this gives a good idea of my preferences. I know $300 is not a lot, but I'm hoping there's something that will meet my needs.

I'd really like something that will do for now until I get more of a feeling for what I look for in a headphone and amp.

I've looked at the Fubar III and just read about the GoVibe Magnum. The Magnum looks to not be out yet, so I've probably read what there is to read on it in the forum. How about the Fubar? Any opinions?

Thanks!

edit: size doesn't matter.

May 16, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 8
If you haven't found it already, there is a very detailed review provided by HeadphoneAddict of portable USB amps in this thread.

The boxes from Travagans look quite similar to the Fubar. HeadphoneAddict also has a review of those, here.

The Emu 0404 is another desktop box well within your budget, if you are interested in that kind of functionality.

Good luck, and sorry about your wallet.

- Dave

May 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies guys! After doing some more reading I think my budget has gone up. I'm now looking at the Pico and Predator. Both look to be great amps and just what I'm looking for. Now I just need to make a decision. Good thing is I don't think I'll be disappointed with either.
biggrin.gif

Some reviews says the DT880's are a tad bright, but others say they are neutral. So if they are a bit on the bright side, I was thinking to go with the Predator since it has been described as a tad warm, and the Pico is more neutral. I was thinking this might even things out a bit. I know there's no way to know without hearing for myself, but are there any recommendations for which one would match better with the DT880?

edit: I'm supposed to be getting the 250 ohm version of the DT880.

May 17, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies guys! After doing some more reading I think my budget has gone up. I'm now looking at the Pico and Predator. Both look to be great amps and just what I'm looking for. Now I just need to make a decision. Good thing is I don't think I'll be disappointed with either.
biggrin.gif

Some reviews says the DT880's are a tad bright, but others say they are neutral. So if they are a bit on the bright side, I was thinking to go with the Predator since it has been described as a tad warm, and the Pico is more neutral. I was thinking this might even things out a bit. I know there's no way to know without hearing for myself, but are there any recommendations for which one would match better with the DT880?

edit: I'm supposed to be getting the 250 ohm version of the DT880.

I don't have a Pico or Predator or DT880's so I really can't offer any comment... Like you said, I don't think you'll go wrong either way. In the end you'll just have to pick one and go for it.

If you're looking for confirmation before you pull the trigger, what you might do is search inside one of the major Pico or Predator threads here for DT880 and see what comes up. (Hit the "search this thread" button at the top of the thread.) If nothing comes up that way, then I'd suggest asking there. You're probably only going to get commentary on either the pico or predator though (I'd expect it to be positive). Most people don't own both.

- Dave

May 20, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 8
After doing some more reading I just ordered the 2Move from TTVJ. Seems this one does a nice job with Meier products for a small price.

I'm sure in about 3 months I'll be looking for a good desktop setup, but it's good to know I'll have this one for portability. That's about how long I usually go before the upgrade bug hits me.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I just need to add the word "bass" since I spelled it wrong in my other post.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After doing some more reading I just ordered the 2Move from TTVJ. Seems this one does a nice job with Meier products for a small price.

You won't be disappointed. I have a 2Move to go along with my HD-650. It's one of the best bang for the buck amp/dac combo's currently available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back