Which universal player?
Jun 20, 2006 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty sure I'm going with a universal player for my next source. I'm looking for Redbook CD and DVD video performance in one box- I don't care about SACD or DVD-A. That said, video is by far a secondary consideration compared to audio. The system I'll be building around this will probably be MPX3 (SE) -> W5000/K340 and a Samsung 21" or 24" widescreen monitor for video. Music I listen to is larger group jazz (Pat Metheny Group, modern big band), classical and orchestral soundtrack, and a smattering of male vocals and modern rock/alternative/whatever its called (Coldplay, DMB, Barenaked Ladies). Video will be the Star Wars saga- I'm one of those obsessive people- and LOTR mostly. Not sure this matters, just throwing it out there.

Through searches I've been able to narrow the field down to a few players. I'm not going with Denons because I just don't like their looks and don't want to spend so incredibly much modding out the 3910. My choices are:

Bel Canto PL-2- highest I'm willing to spend ($2500ish w/ DVI on Audiogon). Looks like my ideal player, I like the DVI output and ability to shut off the video circuitry and supposedly it sounds awesome.
http://www.belcantodesign.com/prod_playerPL2.html

SACDmods Sony NS9100ES- seems like a really good value compared to the Bel Canto, but I've heard bad things about its video and its a Sony (I could live with that, its not like its Apple, but still).
http://www.sacdmods.com/NS9100ES.htm

Arcam DV78/DV137- don't know much about this player, but I've read that its good. Being able to come in black is a major bonus. Not sure how it compares to others, not sure how its worth it to go up to the DV137.
http://www.arcam.co.uk/prod_diva_DV78_intro.cfm

NAD M55- my impression is this is rather new, and I probably won't go with it without good reason because I think its a bit ugly. That said, I'm interested in opinions about it, so I'm throwing it out as a dark horse candidate.
http://www.nadelectronics.com/master...55_framset.htm

I'd appreciate any impressions, insights, or advice you guys have regarding which player to choose. It might turn out that my budget will limit my choice, but I'm not sure at this point so I'd like to consider everything up to $2.5k. It might seem like I'm focused on aesthetics too much, but I'll be hanging onto this player for a good 4 years I think and I don't want to be bothered by anything about it. Hopefully I haven't overloaded on background info either, but I wanted to cover all bases.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 18
I don't know much about the Bel Canto PL-2, but I recently purchased the PL-1A and have been very happy. I use it as my SACD, DVD-A and Redbook source in my 5.1 audio system. I use a Denon 5910 for video.

I would also look on Audiogon for a used Esoteric DV-50S. Maybe a bit over your budget, but a solid audio choice.

I would also consider a modded Denon 3910. Doesn't have the standard setting video of the 5910, but it use solid DACS and can be a great platform for audiophile upgrades. I had a Parts Connexion/Underwood Ultimate 3910 that I wish I hadn't sold. Stellar piece.

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 18
An Esoteric would be my dream player, but its too expensive and more importantly too bulky for me right now- a 50 lb player won't cut it. Once the HD format wars are over/more clear and I'm out of college I'll probably go for the successor to the UX-3 and call it a day
biggrin.gif

For some odd reason I really don't want to go with a Denon. I'll keep it in mind, but I'm more interested in the other players...

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
An Esoteric would be my dream player, but its too expensive and more importantly too bulky for me right now- a 50 lb player won't cut it. Once the HD format wars are over/more clear and I'm out of college I'll probably go for the successor to the UX-3 and call it a day
biggrin.gif

For some odd reason I really don't want to go with a Denon. I'll keep it in mind, but I'm more interested in the other players...

The Bel Canto PL-1A is an excellent piece. Ideal for the audiophile. I can't comment on the video. If the PL-2 sounds anything like it, i can;t imagine that you would beunhappy with that choice. I understand your hesitation on the Denon. I only use the 5910 for video, although it is a solid audio platform.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 18
A bit over your price ( but below Esoteric). I replaced a Denon 5900 with it, and have had no regrets. Adequate video player, but awesome audio front end. Also, half the weight of the Denon.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 18
If you just need video as a separate why not buy a $100 Video player, and spend the rest on a good redbook CD player
evil_smiley.gif

Standard Redbook cdplayers have a lot of electrical advantages that make them easier to design with audiophile quality in mind. That's not to say you can't find decent multiplayers, just that it's normally more cost efficient to get a purpose built unit IMHO.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 18
If i was you i'd just find a DVD player with a very good cd transport (its my understanding that there are some DVD players with audiophile quality cd transports, but i dont know specific models), and then use an external DAC with it. Hifi sound, video and more affordable than a superduper dvd player

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 18
Thanks guys for the suggestions, but I really need only one box and I'm willing to spend a little more for that. I've cut back my budget though, and so I'm looking really hard at the Arcam DV78. The Sony's a second choice, but I think I'm going with the Arcam and I've read good things about it. Thanks for all your input.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 18
Might I suggest the McCormack UDP-1? This unit's redbook CD playback is first rate, the video is outstanding, it plays SACD, DVD-Audio and MP3 discs as well.

On the other end of the cost spectrum there are the Yamaha units. These should not be forgotten by anyone considering universal players. They run around $400 and play CD, DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, and MP3.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Just to throw another option out there, Parasound is supposed to be releasing universal players anytime now in both their Halo and Classic lines. Looks promising.

I had on hand the Arcam DV-79 for awhile. I thought the audio was much better than a stock 3910. The 3910 sounded a little flat and 2-dimensional in comparison. But the 3910 beat it for me in video performance.

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
Might I suggest the McCormack UDP-1? This unit's redbook CD playback is first rate, the video is outstanding, it plays SACD, DVD-Audio and MP3 discs as well.

On the other end of the cost spectrum there are the Yamaha units. These should not be forgotten by anyone considering universal players. They run around $400 and play CD, DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, and MP3.

Along those lines, the new UDP-1 Deluxe sounds very nice. Haven't done a proper A-B with stock UDP-1, but the price diff is only $500, less on the used market.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue24/mccormack.htm

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Based on sound alone (video another matter), the Sony 9100ES SACDmods is an awsome totally high end sounding player, among the best out there. It performs far above many players costing over $5000 in SACD and Redbook.
A modded 3910 would be better on video and sounds close to the 9100ES. The Denon uses the same dacks as the Sony, but suffers from a switching power supply as opposed to a transformer type. But it is still a close call with the Sony winning.
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 18
Get one of the Sonys with the modwright tube mods and never look back.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back