Which Ultrasone Should I choose for...(Trance, Electronica, House, Dance, etc) ?
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
I have searched quite a bit through the forums and I came to these choices:

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro

Ultrasone PRO 750

Ultrasone PRO 780

I wanted to get some last second advices before I jump the gun in buying one of these.

Isolation is important for me, and they need to be semi-portable (move around with my laptop in the house) but I think they all can do this fairly well.

I want very tight and controlled bass with nice mids and highs. I do need a good amount of clarity but nothing too bright. The wider the soundstage the better. Good separation is nice too.

I am honestly leaning more towards the 780 because I heard they are very versatile with different kinds of music + movies + games (important too) but I can take any last second suggestions or advices.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 7
Based on your needs, I'd say you'd need the HFI680. It's portable (semi-portable to some), offers great isolation and the best SQ of the Ultrasones I've heard. I'd avoid the pro 750, but that's me. I took an immediate disliking to its tinny sound and overwhelming bass. the HFI680 is much more balanced. Or maybe a recabled HFI780 would also do the trick.

For what it is worth, I wrote a post on the 680: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/whe...hfi680-353043/

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 7
Solid Snake

I have the Proline 550 and they are a great headphone. Powerful bass but very controlled IMO. They are fairly well balanced accross the entire sound spectrum, no sibilance to speak of. Sound stage is reasonable for a closed fon, but don't expect K701 or AD900 spaciousness or instrument separation.
This is pretty well going to be accross the board with all the Ultrasones, unless you fall into the category of the S logic is wonderful people. I haven't heard REB's HFI680 but from what I have read and gained from others , REB is probably on the money, and I respect his opinion. As a generalisation Ultrasones aren't a bad choice for electronica and even rock. Fairly well balanced (they do lean toward a bass focus) are quite forward, fast and dynamic. Some electronic fans will like more sound stage, but hey everything has a compromise.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 7
"I want very tight and controlled bass with nice mids and highs. I do need a good amount of clarity but nothing too bright. The wider the soundstage the better. Good separation is nice too."

You will get all this, and even more with the 750. But..

In terms of isolation, it is not absolutely sound proof since others can still faintly hear what I am listening to. In terms of portability, I have taken my 750 on public transport, but I ended up with the look of "what the hell is that XXXX doing with that blue thing on his head?" from everyone around me, so public conscious people are not recommended to follow suit.

Still, if it's the sound that matters most to you, then 750 is your answer. Final.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on your needs, I'd say you'd need the HFI680. It's portable (semi-portable to some), offers great isolation and the best SQ of the Ultrasones I've heard. I'd avoid the pro 750, but that's me. I took an immediate disliking to its tinny sound and overwhelming bass. the HFI680 is much more balanced. Or maybe a recabled HFI780 would also do the trick.

For what it is worth, I wrote a post on the 680: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/whe...hfi680-353043/

Very interesting, I looked at your thread and noticed that you are powering them with the Graham Slee Voyager...I just ordered this last week for my next ultrasone...What a coincidence!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions...As always, all kinds of different opinions show up for what headphones to use so I couldnt narrow it down to one choice (which is a good thing
happy_face1.gif
)

I couldnt go wrong with any of the ultrasones...

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I want very tight and controlled bass with nice mids and highs. I do need a good amount of clarity but nothing too bright. The wider the soundstage the better. Good separation is nice too."

You will get all this, and even more with the 750. But..

In terms of isolation, it is not absolutely sound proof since others can still faintly hear what I am listening to. In terms of portability, I have taken my 750 on public transport, but I ended up with the look of "what the hell is that XXXX doing with that blue thing on his head?" from everyone around me, so public conscious people are not recommended to follow suit.

Still, if it's the sound that matters most to you, then 750 is your answer. Final.

agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back