Which tubes--Singlepower Slam & Grado?
May 11, 2006 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

asdf

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for tube recommendations for my MPX3 Slam for use with Grados (RS-1s). I realize this boils down to a question of taste, but I'm hoping to get some good combinations to begin my journey. Currently, I'm using a Ken Rad VT-231 and Sylvania 5687s. Are there combinations that are better suited for Grados?

Thank you.

--asdf

May 11, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Which coupling caps do you have in your amp .... the paper-in-oil or the stock orange drop caps?

I have a stock Slam, so I'm guessing it has the orange drop caps. I purchased this amp with blind trust and total ignorance, and the ignorance has pretty much continued. I couldn't be happier with the purchase, though.

May 11, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 24
Ok .... stock orange drops

Ken Rad 6sn7gt / Tung sol 5687 D getter

Sylvania 6sn7gt tall bottle / Tung sol 5687 D getter

Sylvania 6sn7gt / Raytheon Square getter 5687 or Raytheon O getter 5687wa

The Ken Rad 6sn7gt / Sylvania 5687 combo you are using is actually quite good with the powerful bass of the KR balancing out the leaner sounding sylvania 5687's. But the Tung sol will have a richer midrange and a more powerful bass that you might like even better.

If brightness is a concern the Raytheons with the Sylvania might be a little to hot in the presence region with grados. But the Raytheon square getter 5687 has a spookily real midrange that reminds me of the Tung sol black glass round plate 6sn7gt.
icon10.gif

Most recently I have been going back between the Sylvania 6sn7gt/ TS D getter 5687 and the Sylvania 6sn7gt/ Raytheon square getter 5687 combos with my AKG K 701's .... and I still havent decided which one I like best.

Note: I stated Sylvania tall bottle 6sn7gt. What I actually use is the Sylvania 7n7 tall bottle with an octal to loctal adapter. The Sylvania 7n7 tall bottle is the same tube as the Sylvania 6sn7gt/vt-231, except they have different bases.

May 11, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 24
The Sylvania 5687's are warm tubes. I find that for a warmer grado like the RS-1, I like using either the Tung Sol D-Getter, or the Ray Theon 5687's! For gain, I use the Hytron CBS 6sn7, or the Ken-Rad VT-231 (If I want a more fuller bass).

May 12, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 24
Thank you for all of the recommendations! The Tung Sol D getter seems to be a recurring theme. What should I expect to pay for one of these? I've seen them for close to $30 a pop, but I don't know what a good price is. Should I expect about the same for the Raytheon 5687s?

--asdf

May 12, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 24
That sounds about right for the Tung-Sols. The Raytheon's are quite a bit cheaper--I think I paid about $15 each for mine. The Raytheon tubes are pretty good. I like the Tung-Sols when combined with a laid-back voltage tube and the Raytheons with a more agressive sounding voltage tube.

May 12, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 24
This is an interesting thread, as I am still looking for the right combination of tubes for the Grados. So far I've mainly swapped out the input tube, but have some Tung Sol 5687's on the way.

It is interesting that the Sennheisers (600) are much easier to please tube wise than the Grados. Just about any combination I try with the 600's seems to work acceptably. But so far the right mix for the Grados remains elusive.

- augustwest

May 12, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
This is an interesting thread, as I am still looking for the right combination of tubes for the Grados. So far I've mainly swapped out the input tube, but have some Tung Sol 5687's on the way.

It is interesting that the Sennheisers (600) are much easier to please tube wise than the Grados. Just about any combination I try with the 600's seems to work acceptably. But so far the right mix for the Grados remains elusive.

- augustwest

What are you looking for specifically? Bass? More, deeper, tighter? The best bass of the tubes I have comes from the Ken Rad VT-231. Deep enough and just the right tightness for my tastes...especially with the PS-1's being the can of the moment. Like the other folks here, I tend to lean toward the 5687 tung sols with rock. If I'm going to do some easy listening or perhaps some classical, I'm becoming very attached to the 6350's. I'd certainly consider adding them to the list of adapters you get from Mikhail.

May 12, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 24
Ken -

I am looking for a tube, or combination of tubes, that has tight deep bass, with rolled off high end, and transparent mid's for the Grados. Not asking too much, huh?

I have currently two Ken-Rads, although neither is the V-231 version. The first is black base, staggered black plates, and is designated as a 6SN7. So far it has given me the rolled off highs that I am looking for, the bass is OK but not great, and the mid's are congested.

The second Ken Rad that I have (also a 6SN7 designation), is a brown base, it does not have the staggered plates. It has a much better mid range, but the bass is not as deep and authoritative.

So far with the limited tubes that I have to experiment with the Sylvania 6SN7 GTA has been my favorite. This has been a great tube with the hd600's & dt990's, giving them a dynamicism that is extraordinary. But using it with the Grados gives me a high end that is way too extended, and at times almost painful depending on the recording.

- augustwest

May 12, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
If I'm going to do some easy listening or perhaps some classical, I'm becoming very attached to the 6350's. I'd certainly consider adding them to the list of adapters you get from Mikhail.

This place is bleeding me dry! I just ordered the Tugsol D getters and the Raytheon square getters as well as a Sylvania 6SN7GT tall bottle. Now I feel compelled to order tubes (the 6350) that will require me to drop another $100 on adapters! When will it end? Is there a relevant 12 step program?

--asdf

May 12, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 24
My favorites are:

Outputs: Tung Sol D getter 5687's. I haven't tried VT-231's in the output position, I hear they're good too.

Driver favorite: Ken Rad VT-231 - Mikhail sold me this for about $100

Driver second favorite: RCA 7n7 (at least I think it's RCA) - Mikhail sent me this tube with my amp. It has the most bass of any driver I've tried, but the Ken Rad I like better because it has an airier sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back