Which tube amp for grados?
Jun 29, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #16 of 25
I have the Grado SR-200s which have the HP-1000 drivers in them. They've never sounded so good as they do through the MP-5.

The MP-5 is not a perfect amp, nor is it a pure tube amp. It is a hybrid design using dual triodes for 1st stage amplification and drivers for the Mosfet outputs. It's rated at about 13 watts into 8 ohms per channel. The stock unit uses a 150 ohm resistor in series with the headphone jack. I'm driving the AKG K-1000s with the speaker outputs of the amp. They sound terrific too!

Substituting better tubes for the stock ones also improves the sound further.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

And there's even an upgraded one in the for sale forums right now...

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #19 of 25
I really like my millet... good for the $$$.
MPX3 is my fave though.

I like SS amps with the SR60 and MS1 though.

The dared MP-5 looks very interesting and versatile... $300 BIN on ebay too.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 25
singlepower supra, sds with 6bl7gt output tubes and kenrad black glass inputs 6sn7gt. wow
basshead.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 25
Hybrids seem to do well with Grados. The Melos mates well with em.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #25 of 25
If you live in the USA and not 'OLD BLIGHTY', the UK. Then you will have plenty of choice.

Unfortunately I'm stuck here in Blighty with all our ancient monuments, buildings and the royal family, but very few headphone amps!

I'm using the Earmax A.E. with my RS1's and I am quite happy with the reproduction I get from the combination.

An Earmax Silver Edition should provide comparible listening, and the Earmax Pro a slightly less focussed but still involving sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back