Which TT to choose?
Aug 29, 2005 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
Well I have narrowed my TT search down to two table/cartridge combos. The options are -

Rega P3 w/ Exact cartridge

Music Hall MMF-7 w/ Grado Platinum

I wish to buy new, each of which hare available at local stores. The price is comparable between the two, but the differences are in the design philosophies. The Rega is a rigid table of the utmost simplicity, and the Music Hall is a dual plinith, isolated motor rig. What are your thoughts on the two? Would the Grado cartridge work well with the Music Hall? I really do not want to spend anymore than $1100-1200 on a new table, so please do not recommend anything like a VPI. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 7
The Music Hall is apparently a reworking of the Pro-Ject tables and assembled in the Czech Republic. The plinth design with decoupled motor is reminiscent of the Logic / Mantra which offers superior isolation to the Rega. The acrylic platter is pretty derigeur these days. The MF has a Project Arm though which isn't as good as Rega's RB300, despite being of a similar design.
I am not a huge fan of the Rega Planar 3 but having never heard the MH's particular take on Pro-ject it's difficult to say.
If they are available at dealer demo's where you live why not go and listen and compare them?

Aug 30, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 7
I have not heard the Rega but I owned an MMF-7 and loved it. It's a solid table for the money. Having said that, I'd replace the Goldring cart that comes with it, probably with a Shure V15xMR if you can find one.

Aug 30, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 7
I've had the P3 and with a Clearaudio Aurum Beta S cart. I only sold it to upgrade to a Scout. It's a great tt for the money. I have an mmf-5 at the moment with stock cart and while I will upgrade again (probably P3 or P5) I like this tt a lot for the money. It's tough to compare since the mmf-5 is running off of an xr-2 phono and with the P3 I was using the built in phono of my Rega Mira 3 intergrated. Not a bad phono stage but not close to the xr-2. I guess what I am trying to say is you will likely be happy with either. Try to listen to each if a local store has them and decide with your own ears.

I had a Grado Platinum cart with my Scout and had some noise issues. I eventually sold it and picked up a Rega Super Elys. A real nice cart for the money. The Rega carts with the Rega tt are a nice match. The carts and arms have a 3 screw fastening system which is supposed to provide better stability.

Aug 30, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I've had the P3 and with a Clearaudio Aurum Beta S cart. I only sold it to upgrade to a Scout. It's a great tt for the money. I have an mmf-5 at the moment with stock cart and while I will upgrade again (probably P3 or P5) I like this tt a lot for the money. It's tough to compare since the mmf-5 is running off of an xr-2 phono and with the P3 I was using the built in phono of my Rega Mira 3 intergrated. Not a bad phono stage but not close to the xr-2. I guess what I am trying to say is you will likely be happy with either. Try to listen to each if a local store has them and decide with your own ears.

I had a Grado Platinum cart with my Scout and had some noise issues. I eventually sold it and picked up a Rega Super Elys. A real nice cart for the money. The Rega carts with the Rega tt are a nice match. The carts and arms have a 3 screw fastening system which is supposed to provide better stability.

LOL - I sold my MMF7 for a Scout! I see a pattern developing here - perhaps he should just go for the Scout???

Aug 30, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
LOL - I sold my MMF7 for a Scout! I see a pattern developing here - perhaps he should just go for the Scout???

I loved my Scout but I am thinking P5 as my next stop and I save myself about $400. The truth is I would be happy with a P3, mmf-5 or 7 if that was where my budget took me. Can't stress enough the importance of a good phono stage.

Aug 30, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
The Rega carts with the Rega tt are a nice match. The carts and arms have a 3 screw fastening system which is supposed to provide better stability.

The three point fixing method also has the great benefit of making sure the cartridge is correctly aligned without any fuss, making set-up a breeze. Surprising nobody thought of this before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back