Which to buy: Voyager, or Cowon S9?
Apr 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

raymondu999

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I'm a newbie audiophile. Hence my very simple kit right now of my 6G iPod Classic + my Sennheiser IE8s. I wanted to upgrade my source. Now the way I see it, I have two options. Buy a Cowon S9, or buy a Graham voyager amp. Anyone heard both sources and their synergy with the IE8s? Let's assume capacity isn't an issue here.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 12
sorry, you need to start learning the lingo; the voyager is an amp, not a source. the source is where the music is produced IE the dac. IMO the voyager is your best choice, but is less portable. if you have the DAP already and likely you already have some apple lossless or proprietary music formats that only work on the apple.. am I right?? only really comes down to portability IMO. the classic plus amp should produce better audio; plus you will be able to run more demanding headphones later on if you like. although the S9 has about 250ma of output per channel doesnt it?? so its not lacking.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Sorry, what I meant was Classic + Voyager as a package, as a source. Say portability is not an issue, and proprietary formats were not an issue (I wish, but for the sake of the argument, anyways). Hence, SQ wise only.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 12
go amp then since you already have the ipod. SQ wont be better with S9 regardless. it will sound very good (havent heard it although I know the cowon SQ.) but IMO the only reason to go the S9 would be the fact its so sexy hehe and a smaller package than ipod plus amp. are you set on the voyager though?? I mean I know it woks out cheaper for those in europe, is that your reason for wanting the voyager?? IMO there are better amps around in that price-range

and BTW the ipod is source, voyager not. sorry to be picky, but there is a lot of lingo around here to learn a source is specifically the device where the music is turned into waves, not where the audio leaves to go to your headphones or where you perceive the music is 'coming from' so has nothing to do with the amp. in the case of an ipod, the ipod is transport, dac and amp, so it is the source; but once you separate the amp and dap, the dap becomes the transport/source and the amp the amp LOL. now thats about as clear as mud.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 12
I guess the consensus is that iPod+amp has better SQ than the Cowon, unless I am really in a position where I am unable to lug around the extra mass.

@qusp: Which other amps did you have in mind? I auditioned the Mustang, Hornet and Tomahawk as well (the RSA units) and I didn't find them to my liking, actually. But I fell in love with the Voyager. I intend to go and audition the iBasso D10 and iQube as well, but I have yet to find places where I can audition them.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 12
Wow, I am surprised that you weren't happy with Hornet or Tomahawk.

Well, I have one amp in mind for you. You should try to listen to CORDA XXS.
I have one on the way, I love it!!!

May 1, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 12
doctordk207, I did hear great things about them before the audition, but when I auditioned them, it was as if I couldn't find anything very special about them. Mrarroyo, I have yet to hear the D10 or iQube, so I won't pass judgement on that just yet.

May 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 12
I am missing my voyager greatly and will probably rebuy at some stage.

It isn't that its better than any other amp, at least ones I have, but it is certainly different. The iqube is a totally different beast to the voyager being pretty damn neutral and clean whereas the voyager is dark and warm. I wouldn't say one is better than the other nowadays after a biut more listening experience, but I definitely want both of them in my stable so I have a choice of sound signatures to cater for differing listening moods.

May 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondu999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the consensus is that iPod+amp has better SQ than the Cowon, unless I am really in a position where I am unable to lug around the extra mass.

@qusp: Which other amps did you have in mind? I auditioned the Mustang, Hornet and Tomahawk as well (the RSA units) and I didn't find them to my liking, actually. But I fell in love with the Voyager. I intend to go and audition the iBasso D10 and iQube as well, but I have yet to find places where I can audition them.

pico, D10, rudistor XJ-03 and the end game.. Lisa III. iqube is too bland for my liking. the voyager is def a nice amp though. I dont know what it is that puts me off a little; I think its the looks.. I know its shallow
rolleyes.gif
n also doesnt pair too well with the type of headphones I like. little too dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back