Which to buy? EX71, MD33 or SE-CL30's?
Sep 1, 2004 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

amberbamber

New Head-Fier
This is my first quality headphone purchase. I use to have a really great sounding pair of sony's when I was a 20 something but they were just off the shelf.

I'm leaning towards the Sharp MD33's as they look better for sleeping in when I lay my head on it's side while listening.

I'm going to be listening to hypnosis tapes as well as a combination of multiplexed audio binaural beats and pink sound (or music), verbal suggestion, relaxation exercises and guided imagery. Most of the time I listen while I go to sleep and like to sleep on my side so low profile works for me I think.

Thanks
etysmile.gif

Amber

p.s. The more I read about them I'm no narrowing it down between the EX71's and the MD33's....per reviews I'm reading.
The MD33's have this 4pole thing which I will probably never use since I dont have an ipod.

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by amberbamber
I'm leaning towards the Sharp MD33's as they look better for sleeping in when I lay my head on it's side while listening.

I'm going to be listening to hypnosis tapes as well as a combination of multiplexed audio binaural beats and pink sound (or music), verbal suggestion, relaxation exercises and guided imagery. Most of the time I listen while I go to sleep and like to sleep on my side so low profile works for me I think.

Thanks
etysmile.gif

Amber

p.s. The more I read about them I'm no narrowing it down between the EX71's and the MD33's....per reviews I'm reading.
The MD33's have this 4pole thing which I will probably never use since I dont have an ipod.

as far as i know, ipod do not support 4poles, Sharp minidisc players do. but they come with an extension cord so you can plug it into any standard device.

the se-cl30 is the most comfortable canalphone i owned to date. but the midrange frequencies of the pionner can suffer a bit from coloration, sounding a bit artificial, so i'm not sure its good for you purpose.

mid is the only area i see the sharp beating the pioneer. otherwise the pioneer have more clarity for treble and a balanced bass. sharp have a lot of bass.

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 8
The extension cord for the 4 pole is 1 meter long so keep that in mind.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 8
I just got the EX71 this week, they are a bit harsh using my regular system wich i think is more accurate. With my portable its not so bad and they are great for sleeping. I put 2 nights on them so far and woke up both times they were still in. This didnt happen with my old set (The plug) My set came with 3 different sets of tips, the middle one (default tips) fit me ok but the smaller set seem to go in my ear a little further for more comfort sleeping. I think they sound good but i havnt tried any others on your list.

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 8
i have the sharps....the seal can be a lil tricky...sometimes i push it in too much and i get this boomy sound. when the seal is right, it's a nice sound, good separation of instruments highs a lil peaky somewhere around uppermiddle treble i think...bass is good, but doesnt extend very deep...vocals are acceptable not great

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Don't forget....You can get a pair of SE-CL30s under 30 bucks. These phones are value for money. The MD33s are great, but the extension cord may makes the md33s a bit unwieldy.. ..when you connect them to an iPod with the remote, those cords look ugly...
plainface.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 8
I have the MD33 and the Sony EX70 (predecessor of the EX71). Both are equally comfy. Soundwise, the MD33 are superior. Much more clarity, good midrange. At the same time, I can not listen to them quite as long as I find them a bit fatiguing after a while. I will definitely try the mod that was described by people here to get a somewhat darker sound. The Sonys have a very strong and very soft bass and recessed mids. Many 71 owners complain about the harsh highs. But my EX70 dont have harsh highs at all. I guess Sony 'improved' the high frequency response with the EX71.
Overall, I prefer the MD33. At the same time, for your applications I would say that the EX70 are just perfect. They have a very laid back, non-fatiguing sound and the soft bass is just perfect for a typical deep 'your legs are getting heavy' voice. If you are interested, send me PM and you could buy my pair. Only drawback: I lost one of the medium sized tips. You can buy replacements though.

Regarding the MD33 4 pole thing: I modified mine into a standard 3 pole by some simple soldering. I will probably describe that in another post sometime. So I can plug them straight into my remote without using the extension, which is nice.

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I got the md33s after reading that they are better than the ex71's, I haven't heard the 71's so I can't tell you about those but the md33's are very comfortable to me. I haven't burned these in so far but I really like the sound of them, sounds great with the bends album by radiohead. I can see how they could be a bit fatiguing but it hasn't really bothered me yet. I did notice they are very detailed headphones which I like rather a lot so far.

lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back