which tips do you use for the e2c?
Jan 26, 2005 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

onionblaster

100+ Head-Fier
Everyone seems to have different tastes regarding what they put on the ends of their e2cs before sticking them in their ear canal...

What's YOUR personal preference? Do you use the silicone tips, or the foamies, or tips from another company?

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 30
I use the large foamies so I get the perfect seal. I actually crush the foamies with my fingers before sticking them in my ear. They tend to get dirty that way though. (Which reminds me I need to clean mine
tongue.gif
)

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 30
Medium foams = best comfort with isolation
Medium silicon = best isolation
Small silicon = best silicon comfort
small foams = really good comfort but lacks a good seal for isolation

Medium soft sleeves = best all around (comfort, seall, isolation and sound)
and since i got them ive yet to take them off.

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 30
I first started using them with the large silicon tips. After a couple of months, however, they began to cause my ears too much irritation, so I switched to the large foamies.

The foamies do not isolate as well and get pretty dirty (replacements are cheap on eBay though), but they are much more comfortable and seem to increase the bass to boot.

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 30
in my opinion, i think the there's much more bass with the silicone tip.

the small silicone tip are indeed the most comfortable but they don't completely seal. so to fix that, i added some poster tak (leftover from doing the 280 tak mod) in between the outer shell and the inside tube of the tip. This gives it a better seal while retaining the comfort level.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 30
sony tips as per brohken's mod

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 30
i would try the sony tips but i've heard that they don't isolate nearly as well...so i'm probably not going to bother.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo96
I use the medium foamies. They're comfortable and offer adequate isolation for me.

Same here, but I still fatigue while wearing these after a couple hours, and need to switch to my Senns.
580smile.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 30
i wear large foamies. theyre initially too big but after enought times, they really feel more comfortable than small (which is my original size). i have some sony tips that i glued to the tubes from some shaved foamie pieces that i plan to use when my replacements come in a few days. i just couldnt get a comfortable feeling with the silicon. i felt like i had swimmer's ear the whole time

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 30
I have tried various sleeves for my E2.

Silicones I only used the small ones and fell asleep in them once. They were marginally less comfortable (hey I manage to nap with them on!!!) than the foamies. However they provided an air tight seal so much so that when I tried remocing them, I heard a "plop" sound. However they are very placement sensitive, I couldn't consistently get ideal sound with them. On the bright side, they brought back the thump-bass and some treble into the E2s and sounded marginally better than the foamies IMO. I think they isolate better too. Easier to insert too.

Foamies small, I am wearing them now as I am typing this. They are super comfy for me and doesn't require me to squish them before putting them on. They are less air-tight-ish than the silicones.

Foamies medium, slightly (ever so slightly) better seal than the small foam tips. Slightly better bass.

Foamies large, needs to squish more to attain a seal, they are large and they fill the ear canals nicely. a little duh-um-bass-ish.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 30
My order fo preference:
Med foamies
small foamies
large foamies
All the foams seem to work well. Large ones isolate the most but have less treble and bass. ON all my foamies I trim a little off the end so the tube inserts into my ear as far aspossible.
EX71 mod small sillicone. Shove it deep into ear for great bass response. Less isolation than any shure OEM tip.
small sillicone GREAT seal, easy to pop in-out. Its like a suction cup, very comfey IMHO.

Listening to some SRV Little Wing
eek.gif
eek.gif
Man its like having his guitar cabinet inside my head.
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Jan 26, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
Medium soft sleeves = best all around (comfort, seall, isolation and sound) and since i got them ive yet to take them off.

I agree with infiskik. I can't seem to say enough that it is about time Shure developed these.

By the way, I kept (notice the past tense) all my other tips in a film canister until my dogs devoured them. Now I have nothing but these. I would still like to have some options. How much are the foam and silicon tips when they are ordered from Shure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back