Which tips are you using with your UM1's and why?
Jan 28, 2006 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

roybatty

New Head-Fier
In various threads, I've picked up the following options:

1. Comply tips
2. Yellow foamies
3. Triple flanges
4. Triple flanges with trimmed stems
5. Bi-flages (trimmed triple flanges)
6. Shure soft foam tips

Seems like a lot of choices. Which are the best isolating? Any difference in microphonics, or foot noise while, say, running on a treadmill? Which compromise bass performance, presumably for greater comfort? Are the yellow foamies interchangeable with the gray foamies that ety ships with its er-6? Won't ask about comfort, too subjective, though I guess it's all pretty subjective
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for the most isolation and least microphonics for running at the gym, but want to sacrifice as little bass as possible to get it.

Also trying to decide what to order additional of when ordering the um1's. BTW, seems earphonesolutions has a better package than b&h, same price, plus free shipping, only they do have a restock fee on returns.

Jan 29, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Get a pair of Shure triflanges (like the ones earphonesolutions gives for free when you buy a UM1). I think the tri-flange counts as the most 'universal' tip.

I have the best success with soft flex tips since they're the most comfortable for me.

I think Shure sells a fit kit for $15 or so but you need to specifically ask for it since I've never actually seen the fit kit listed anywhere.

Jan 29, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 4
From what I have heard, the comply tips should provide the most isolation. I have only used the comply tips and they isolate well, although you may not want to use the UM1's period for the gym. With any tip that you get a good seal with, you will probably hear yourself breathing, your feet thumping the floor when running, and maybe even your heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back